Dr. D. Evans
Dr. D. Evans, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MS in ENT and Head and Neck Surgery , Attachment to Neurosurgery.
1771736

Had a pea size lump under skin on forehead, was sore to the

Had a pea size lump under skin on forehead, was sore to the touch, has gotten bigger and more painful. Does not have a "bite sight" or head on it. Yesterday another one started under the skin next to my ear, also under skin no top eruption, but painful, the size of a large pea.It is warm to the touch. Today another one seems to be starting, same side of face,a little above ear, not as large.n Could this be bug bites?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. D. Evans replied 10 years ago.
Since you are online, could you please give some more information:

When did the first lump start?

Any sites of infection, like on your scalp?

I am available online to help you further after I get this info.
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
The first bump started about a week ago.I thought it was a boil or something. Although it was right above my left eyebrow it was not an infected hair or pimple. It is now the size of a large pea, and the skin is red and smooth on top. Has no head or opening or drainage, just sore and red. Second one I noticed 2 days ago, about the same size as the first, however it is totally under the skin and except for slight swelling in the area is not red, however very sore to the touch. The lump itself is very hard inside. The 3rd one I noticed yesterday, it is very small but painful to touch, I am just assuming it will grow like the other two.
The two main possibilities, other than bug bites, are boils and swollen lymph glands.

Bug bites are a possibility, but it does seem unlikely that you should be getting repeated bites over a week, and that too on your face. Also the nature of the lump is not characteristic of bug bites.

Boils, staphylococcal infections, seems a more likely possibility. The nature of the lump, redness, pain,etc. all suggest this. Boils can also occur repeatedly. The head might not always appear distinctly.

The third possibility is swollen lymph glands. This is usually infected with some infection at some other site, for example, a scalp infection. Even excessive dandruff can sometimes cause swollen glands like this.

You have to consult a doctor for this. A clinical examination will be needed to make the distinction. If they are boils as seems likely, you will need antibiotics, available by prescription. Lymph nodes will also need antibiotics. Hence you should consult your family physician/primary care physician.

I hope this answer was helpful. If you need more information, feel free to ask. For accepting this answer, please click on the green 'accept' button below. Feedback/Bonus will be warmly appreciated.