Health

Ask health experts and get answers to your health question ASAP

I have a huge (1/3 in.), irregular(not perfectly circular)

Customer Question
extremely red bump on my...
I have a huge (1/3 in.), irregular(not perfectly circular) extremely red bump on my chin. It seems really hard and dense. I've had it for about three days now and it isn't showing any signs of change(not getting bigger or smaller). I have no idea what it is. As i was staring at it impatiently and anxiously-I start school on Monday!-I pushed and picked at it. Clear liquid came out and it appears to be coming out of three main pores in a triangle shape. One pore even popped out a little piece that looked like zit/whitehead pus and some skin peeled off. Now it looks all flame red and bloody. Right now i'm ice-ing the inflammation away. HELP! I don't know what it is and i dont know how to treat it!
Submitted: 11 years ago.Category: Health
7/1/2007
Health Professional: Family Physician, Doctor (MD) replied 11 years ago
Family Physician, Doctor (MD)
Based on your description and history, I believe that this is caused by an infection. I would suggest seeing a physician to get this treated ASAP.
Reply to Family Physician's Post: So you don't know exactly what this is either...?...Can it be infected zit(s)? I have never had anything on my face that looked this bad before.
Without examining you, it is impossible to make that determination. My best guess is that you have an infection in the skin called cellulitis.
Reply to Family Physician's Post: Icing it did help the inflammation. Is there anything else i should apply to the bump? Should i even clean it with alcohol?
Alcohol is NOT going to help an infection - the infection is IN the skin, not on the surface. If this is indeed an infection - it is important to see a physician and get an appropriate antibiotic.
Reply to Family Physician's Post: So should I go to a dermatologist since it's on my face(chin) or will my normal doctor be able to diagnose this?
I believe that a primary care physician or ER physician should be able to make the diagnosis. Obviously, if they don't know what it is after an examination, they can then refer you to a dermatologist.
Family Physician, Doctor (MD)