How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Deborah Your Own Question
Deborah, Nurse (RN)
Category: Health
Satisfied Customers: 3217
Experience:  Registered NP - Multispeciality
Type Your Health Question Here...
Deborah is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I woke up and i cant hear out of my right ear. WHat ...

Customer Question

I woke up and i can't hear out of my right ear. WHat could this be and do i need to see a doctor?
Submitted: 10 years ago.
Category: Health
Expert:  Deborah replied 10 years ago.


Can you please provide more details related to your symptoms? Are you congested? Does your ear feel "plugged"?

Examples of conditions that may cause a conductive hearing loss include:

  • Conditions such as fluid in the middle ear from colds, allergies (serous otitis media), poor eustachian tube function, ear infection (otitis media), perforated eardrum, benign tumors
  • Impacted earwax (cerumen)
  • Infection in the ear canal (external otitis)
  • Presence of a foreign body
  • Whatever you do, do not use a Q-Tip in the ear canal under any circumstances. If your problem is caused by wax, using a Q-Tip will only compact the wax tighter into the ear canal.

    If you are congested or your ear feels "plugged" you can try an over the counter decongestant.

    If your symptoms don't disappear within a few hours with use of a decongestant or if pain develops, seek a consult with an otolaryngologist. As it is a holiday weekend, you may want to been seen at an urgent care, especially if you develop fever, severe ear pain or drainage from your ear.

    Related Health Questions