Health

Ask Health Experts and Get Answers to Your Health Question ASAP

Health

I suffer from chronic sinusitis. I have had an MRI and CT

Customer Question
Hi - I suffer from chronic...
Hi -

I suffer from chronic sinusitis. I have had an MRI and CT scan of my head confirming this problem, with a deviated septum on my right side. I never really experience horrible congestion, more constant pressure, and relentless inflammation and puffiness around my eyes and a feeling of tightness all over the front of my forhead. I have been evalutated by an endocrinologist, neurologist, ear/nose/throat, rheumatologist, and have even been seen by a pulmonologist and urologist. No one has found anything other than the chronic sinusitis, and a vitamin D deficiency. I have been put on 50,000 IU of vitamin D twice a week for this.

Every day I wake up and feel like absolute HELL. Like my skin has been turned inside out.   My ENTIRE BODY is suffering. I can breath through my nose and know that I am sleeping through the night, so that's not the problem. More importantly, I wake up feeling extremely weak. So weak it's hard to get through the day. I recently started to develop vertigo upon standing when I've been lying down for a long period of time. The room spins for about 3 minutes or so until it calms down. I never feel as if I am going to pass out, just spinning.

I have been put on multiple antibiotics, but these do not help and I personally feel they are contributing to the problem. I suspect systemic yeast or fungus growth as well. I am currently scheduling surgery for my chronic sinusitis.

Recently, I have been feeling weaker. And I have developed severe constipation. I usually pass bowel at least once a day, and I have barely passed anything for 2 weeks. I was given a prescription strength laxative, but even this has produced barely nothing.

Upon this visit to the doctor yesterday, I was also told after having a blood test, that my blood sugar was extremely low: it was at 49. I am not diabetic, nor have I ever had these kinds of problems. Other than the weakness, I have no symptoms of hypoglycemia: tremors, dizziness, heat palpitations etc.   So why is this happening?

I do not have a fever, my blood pressure is perfect. I am a 31 year old female and weigh 193 pounds. I recently started a fresh, daily-delivered diet plan that provides healthy, balanced nutrition supervised by a dietician in order to get my weight in check. ( I have gained 25 pounds from stress and anxiety due to my health problems. ) The diet is balanced at 1200 calories a day which I was assured is perfectly healthy for my body. I don't know if this makes a difference.

Please help me. To put it short –

WHY do I have such an intense vitamin D deficiency?

WHY have I become so severely constipated even though I've been eating balanced and drinking plenty of water? Should I be concerned?

WHY is my blood sugar at 49?

WHAT is causing this horrible all-over weakness?
Every doctor I go to can't seem to give me any sort of answer. I'm really suffering and desperately need health. The physical stress and mental anxiety from all this is really having a huge impact on my life. PLEASE HELP ME!
Submitted: 10 years ago.Category: Health
4/28/2007
Health Professional: Melissa, B.S. Biology/Psychology replied 10 years ago
Melissa
Melissa, B.S. Biology/Psychology

HiCustomer

How long has this been going on, and are you taking any medications at all besides antibiotics?

Is pregnancy a possibility?

Other than the following, are you experiencing any other symptoms or known health issues?

• Sinusitis
  • Vitamin D deficiency
  • Fatigue/Weakness
  • Positional vertigo (only occurs after recling, in other words)
  • Constipation
  • Hypoglycemia
  • Obesity (BMI > 29.9-- at an average height of 5'4", your BMI would be 33.1).

Why do you say you suspect a systemic fungal infection, and what do you mean when you say that your skin feels as though it's turning inside out (are you having pain, in other words)?

Hi - no, I have not been taking any antibiotics, because I was put on too many courses of them in 2006. They do not help my chronic sinusitis in any way. I am in the process of trying to schedule sinus surgery - it's the only thing my ear nose & throat doctor suggests is left to do.

This is also partly my reason for believing that I may have a systemic fungal or candida infection. I believe that all the antibiotics (at least 6 courses last year) threw my body out of whack and I may be experiencing this as a result. I know this isn't paid much attention to in western medicine, but I've read quite a lot about it as it is quite present in alternative medicine communities. And it can cause a waterfall of horrible random symptoms.

For the sinusitis, I use Fluticasone Propionate 50 mcg nasal spray -(doesn't help much) and flush my sinuses with a saline rinse. My chronic sinusitis is quite severe. It is a constant source of uncomfort and pain. My head is constantly full of pressure, all along the front of my forehead and under my eyes. My eyes are EXTREMELY inflamed, irritated and constantly puffy (this is the worst part). Even though I'll have 8 hours of sleep, I still look like I've had only 2. I can breath through my nose, but there are bouts of intermittant congestion. CT and MRI confirm the infection deep in the sinuses, and that my right septum is very deviated.

As for my skin, what I mean is, I wake up and feel as if I had 2 hours of sleep and a horrible hang-over. For me, this always feels like my skin is tight and my body feels as if it's been hit by a truck. It's not actualy PAIN, per sey, it's just a very fatiqued, uncomfortable-in-my-own skin sort of feeling. It is difficult to get out of bed. It's as if my body never wants to wake up, but my head does.

There is no possible way I could be pregnant at this time.

This "weakness" has been off and on since the middle of December. Nobody can give me any answers.

The chronic sinusitis I suspect has been present for almost 2 years at this point. It started to get quite bad last July (2006) with a sudden flare of brain fog and other bizarre symptoms. Again, I've been checked by multiple doctors, doing tons of blood tests. The things you listed are the only things they have found.

As for the obesity, I'm 6 feet tall, and weigh 193 lbs. I gained 25-30 lbs this year from all the stress and anxiety of this whole experience. That is why I am trying to get the weight off now. I have a rather large frame (bones), so this really isn't THAT bad, but it's a little more than I should be for optimal healthy range. My best weight is 160-170 lbs.
Family Physician, Doctor (MD)