Hilton C. Ray, MD
Hilton C. Ray, MD, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  14 years as a Family Practitioner and 6 years as a Holistic Physician
3355086

The back of my heels hurt sometimes when I stand up or walk

The back of my heels hurt sometimes when I stand up or walk after not standing for a while. After a movie or in the morning when I get up. It even hurts when I hit it against something. Do you know what this could be?

How long has this been happening for?

Is it a sharp pain or more of a dull pain?

Does it feel like you're stepping on something each time you take a step?
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Justin Mandel's Post: It is a sharp pain, but it feels like my foot is going to bust out of my heel in the back.

Hi Jaimee,

I've suffered from a similar pain in my right hell, foot.

This is almost certainly Plantar Fasciitis. This is a swelling and inflammation of the fascia that attaches to the heel on the bottom of your foot. Periods of inactivity can make it worse. That is why many people hurt when they first get out of bed. As the fascia gets stretched with walking, the pain subsides.

Things to do,

1. Try ibuprofen or Aleve; it will help with the inflammation over time

2. Try a device like the Strassberg Sock. You can find it at www.thesock.com . I have no personal investment in this web site, it is just a great product for this condition.

3. See a doctor if these two things do not help. If the sock does not make you feel better, then one needs to consider that something else is going on.

I hope this was helpful. If so, please take the time to leave positive feedback.

Customer: replied 10 years ago.
My pain is not at the bottom of my heel...it is at the back of my heal and it hurts to touch it all of the time. Is this still the same thing?
Not necessarily. This could be inflammation of your Achilles' tendon. This tendon inserts on the back of the heel. You should see if the pain is there even if you push on the tendon just above your heel area. This could be Achilles tendinitis.

However, the treatment and the advice is still the same for this condition, as the cause is still similar. Stretching of this tendon while you sleep will help to relieve your symptoms over time. The web site referenced above also mentions the treatment of Achilles tendinitis.

This link will take you to a site that discusses this condition. The link goes to the treatment page, where you can see the recommendations include wearing a night splint that stretches the tendon while you sleep. I believe the strassburg sock is the best splint out there on the market right now. If you can find a better splint, by all means use it instead.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/achilles-tendinitis/DS00737/DSECTION=7

Again, I think the treatment recommended will still help immensely. Your condition is more likely Achilles tendinitis because of the location of your pain. I hope this helps clarify things for you.
Hilton C. Ray, MD, Doctor (MD)
Experience: 14 years as a Family Practitioner and 6 years as a Holistic Physician