MasterDoc
MasterDoc, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Emergency Physician for 20 years
3119816

What exactly does a knee joint effusion mean? I hurt my knee

What exactly does a knee joint effusion mean? I hurt my knee about 10 days ago. ( fell off a step in the dark ).

It has been swollen for 10 days. I finally could not take the pain any longer, and saw my Dr. He had an X-Ray taken of my knee, and the conclusion was "knee joint effusion." No one will fully explain that term to me. Can you please?
Category: Health
Expert:  MasterDoc replied 10 years ago.
A joint is the place where two bones meet. An effusion is a collection of abnormal, excessive fluid in the area. WHile there are many possible causes, in your case it is traumatic ie from an injury. It is a non-specific response to a certain level of injury. Here is a link:\
http://orthopedics.about.com/od/hipknee/f/swelling.htm
Please click ACCEPT. Feel free to ask a follow-up question.