How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, MD Your Own Question
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, MD
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, MD, Doctor (MD)
Category: Health
Satisfied Customers: 9032
Experience:  Twenty years experience in active private practice
Type Your Health Question Here...
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, MD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a pulled or torn muscle under the left rib cage. I ...

This answer was rated:

I have a pulled or torn muscle under the left rib cage. I have been in intense pain for 6 days. What can I do to treat it, other than taking prescription oral muscle relaxers? (they made me naseous)


If you are in intense pain, it will be best to get an Xray done to check that none of the ribs are fractured or cracked. A cracked rib will cause more or less the same symptoms as a pulled chest muscle.

Meanwhile, at home, the best method of treating a torn or pulled muscle is by strapping the chest so that the movement of the chest wall is minimised to some extent. The strapping will have to be just tight enough to prevent any bending or twisting movement of the chest wall but not tight enough to cause difficulty in breathing.

I am afraid that you will need to take a painkiller like Motrin 500 mg twice daily. Take the pill immediately after a meal on a full stomach so that it does not cause any gastritis. It is the increased acidity in gastritis that causes the nausea. You can take an antacid like Mylanta 30 minutes after taking the Motrin or you can ask the doctor for a prescription for an acid reducing medicine like Protonix.

If it is only a pulled muscle, you will feel better with a hot pack or a hot water bottle applied to the place. You can also apply muscle relaxants like Tobricin ointment (OTC) or Icy-hot over the area.

But, it would be best to get an Xray done before you start any home treatment.

I hope this helps.

Let me know if you need more input. If not, please click on the green"Accept" button on this page. A positive rating and adding a bonus will be warmly appreciated.

Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, MD and other Health Specialists are ready to help you