How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Family Physician Your Own Question
Family Physician
Family Physician, Doctor (MD)
Category: Health
Satisfied Customers: 12816
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years
Type Your Health Question Here...
Family Physician is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What is the treatment for it?

Customer Question

what is the treatment for it?
Submitted: 10 years ago.
Category: Health
Expert:  Family Physician replied 10 years ago.
Typically, the treatment of a 40% blockage is MEDICAL rather than surgery (bypass) or interventional (angioplasty with stent)

Medical treatments include aggressive control of cholesterol (usually with one of the statin medications), beta blockers (Lopressor, Toprol, Tenormin, Coreg), and nitrates (nitrogylcerine)
Family Physician and 5 other Health Specialists are ready to help you
Expert:  Family Physician replied 10 years ago.
When I reviewed this quesiton again, I initially thought you were asking about a CORONARY artery (the heart)

If you are asking about the CAROTID artery, then the answer would be SOMEWHAT different.

Again the answer would be aggressive control of blood pressure and cholesterol. Also, most physicians would recommend taking aspirin or Plavix daily to prevent the blockage getting worse.

If you are having TIA ("mini-strokes") despite aspirin and/or Plavix, then surgery may indeed be a recommendation.

Repeating the ultrasound of the carotids in 3-6 months would also be appropriate.

YOU DO NOT NEED TO ACCEPT AGAIN, you have already accepted. I added this for clarification.
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Relist: I still need help.
I have been takeing blood presure med's and
colesterol med's for the last five year's toprol, and vytorin10/80.....also have had
had a hemorragic stroke.
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
what do i do now
Expert:  Family Physician replied 10 years ago.
Since your stroke was hemorrhagic (bleeding) rather than embolic (from a clot), the blockage probably had nothing to do with this.

Generally, unless your are having intermittent neurologic symptoms to suggest small clot forming at the site of the narrowing, then just following the narrowing with repeated ultrasounds is all that most physicians would recommend.

Surgery is NOT usually recommended at this level of blockage. By keeping your blood pressure and cholesterol under control, you reduce the risk that this narrowing will get worse.
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
i also have pad pulmanary artery disease..
Expert:  Family Physician replied 10 years ago.
I don't know that the pulmonary artery disease would make that much difference in the recommendations on the treatment of the carotid artery narrowing.