How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. D. Evans Your Own Question
Dr. D. Evans
Dr. D. Evans, Doctor (MD)
Category: Health
Satisfied Customers: 4464
Experience:  MS in ENT and Head and Neck Surgery , Attachment to Neurosurgery.
Type Your Health Question Here...
Dr. D. Evans is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a throbbing pain in the right side of my neck. It

Resolved Question:

I have a throbbing pain in the right side of my neck. It happens on and off throughout the day. It is not a muscle pain. I am worried that I have some weird blockage in the artery in my neck or something. It has been happening for about three months. I am worried!
Submitted: 10 years ago.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. D. Evans replied 10 years ago.
Since you are online, could you please give some more information:

On which part of the enck exactly does it happen?

Does it occur on more or less the same area each time?

How long does it last, a few seconds or so?

I am available online to help you further after I get this info.
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Dr. D. Evans's Post: On the right side, longways, in the area below the ear (a few inches down -- maybe three or four inches down is the top of where the pain is, and it ends near the base of my neck). The pain is always in the same area. When it happens I habitually put my right hand up there and kind of massage it because it hurts. It lasts for a few minutes, but will come back on and off for a much longer period of time. Then I may not notice it until later in the day. I think I notice it more when I am sitting and not busy doing something.
Expert:  Dr. D. Evans replied 10 years ago.
Hi Jenny,

The pain you describe and the area is typically a pain of Trigeminal Neuralgia.

This is a lesion of a nerve called the trigeminal nerve which supplies that area. This nerve sometimes shoots off intermittently in some persons. It is not life threatening of debiliting, but you will need to take a drug called Tegretol. You have to approach your doctor, preferably a neurologist.

You may look up this site for some more info:

I hope this answer was helpful. If you need more information, feel free to ask. For accepting this answer, please click on the green 'accept' button below.
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
What I read about this with the link you have given me, says that people experince pain in the face. My pain is not in the face at all, and is not a "stabbing" pain. Could this still be the same thing even though my "throbbing" pain is in the middle to lower neck?
Expert:  Dr. D. Evans replied 10 years ago.
Trigeminal nerve supplies both the face and the neck, specially the region below the ear. This is the typical site of the pain. The pain is also typically described in the text books as a 'lancinating' type of pain, and not stabbing, ie, a kind of shooting pain. The web site need not be authentic. Of course, what i have given you is only a suggestion, i certainly could not make a diagnosis without an actual examination. But based on what you describe, and my own experinece, it fits the diagnosis of trigeminal pain to me.
Dr. D. Evans and 4 other Health Specialists are ready to help you