How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sarah Rachel Your Own Question
Sarah Rachel
Sarah Rachel, Nutritional Consultant / Herbalist
Category: Health
Satisfied Customers: 738
Experience:  Nutritional Consultant, Herbalist, Natural Health Advocate, Studying to be a Holistic Practitioner
Type Your Health Question Here...
Sarah Rachel is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Are mesquite thorns poisonous and how do you treat a

This answer was rated:

Are mesquite tree thorns poisonous and how do you treat a deep puncture wound? i suffered a deep puncture to my foot approximately six hours ago. The thorn did not stay in. I squeezed the site to get it to bleed and then treated with hibiclens. two hours ago, the wound began to throb. i've soaked the foot in epson salts--which hasn't helped much. I have found some information on web sites that state the mesquite thorn is poisonous, but no site has any infromation about any type of treatment.

Hello my friend,

I can understand your concern and I will do everything I can to help you. Yes you are correct mesquite tree thorns are poisonous to both humans and animals. These desert type plants can cause a reaction but they are not known to cause death or any serious injury. The main problem is that the thorns can cause an infection if not treated properly. The way you treat this type of injury is by pouring hydrogen peroxide on the wound to be sure that any bacteria is killed. Then be sure to saturate the area with an antibiotic cream such as neosporin. Then dress the wound and be sure to keep the area clean. You can use a band aid or dressing. You should be fine and the peroxide should help to clean out any poisons as well. However you need to be aware that if you experience any swelling or pain in that area that you need to go the doctor right away. Stop soaking your foot in epsom salts and this can cause further irritation for this type of injury.

I hope you feel better soon. Please click on accept otherwise please request more information. I am here for you any time.

Sarah Smile

Sarah Rachel and 2 other Health Specialists are ready to help you

Related Health Questions