Deborah
Deborah, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  Registered NP - Multispeciality
761613

What are the red itchy welts on my crack area. It almost

Customer Question

What are the red itchy welts on my butt crack area. It almost feels like athletes foot on my butt the skin is also dry and cracked and bleeds right in the crack sometiimes
Category: Health
Expert:  Deborah replied 10 years ago.

Anal pruritus is the medical term used to describe the skin around your anus that itches, cracks and bleeds.

The skin around your anus is irritated by something that touches it or comes out in your stool. It may even be from something that you have been eating for years without a problem. Doctors do not know why it suddenly begins to irritate your skin. It can also be from a new soap or laundry detergent. Some people experience this in the summer when they sweat more. Parasites, particularly pin worm, can also lead to severe itching. Perfumes, oils, lubricants can irritate the sensitive skin around your anus and cause the itch. In rare instances, hemorrhoids can cause the itch if they are so large and irritated that they hang outside your anus and leak mucous. This mucous, which you may see in your underwear, can irritate your skin and cause the itch. Good hygiene is very important and if you leave stool on your skin after a bowel movement, you will be more likely to itch.

My suggestion is to not use soap on the area. Wipe this area with unscented baby wipes for sensitive skin. Purchase some hydrocortisone cream over the coutner and see if this helps.

If you do not begin to notice resolution of your symptoms, make an appointment with your doctor for an accurate diagnosis. Prescription Anusol-HC ointment works well to relieve symptoms.

This could be related to yeast as well.

Let me know if you have questions.