How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, MD Your Own Question
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, MD
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, MD, Doctor (MD)
Category: Health
Satisfied Customers: 9032
Experience:  Twenty years experience in active private practice
Type Your Health Question Here...
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, MD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a torn muscle on the right side of my rib cage. I am

Resolved Question:

i have a torn muscle on the right side of my rib cage. I am in a lot of pain. What do you prescribe that I do to help it heal faster as well as what do I do for the pain that is horrible..It hurts when I breath.

James Pennington
Submitted: 10 years ago.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, MD replied 10 years ago.


Ideally, you should get an xray to confirm that it is really a muscle that is torn and not a fractured rib. But if you are sure that it is indeed a torm muscle, here is what you can do:

- Apply an ice-pack for 10 minuts every hour for 4 hours then 4 times a day.

- Apply a painreliever like Tobricin or Icyhot.

- Take Motrin 500mg twice daily aftre food for 7 days.

-Continue to use the rib belt.

If you do not feel better in 1 week, please consult a doctor for an evaluation.

I hope this helps.

Let me know if you need more input. If not, please click on the green"Accept" button on this page. A positive rating and adding a bonus will be warmly appreciated.

Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, MD and other Health Specialists are ready to help you