Judy
Judy, Nurse
Experience:  RN in ICU for 35 years
803120

My right hand goes numb when I dry my hair, do dishes and

Customer Question

My right hand goes numb when I dry my hair, do dishes and especially when I wake in the morning (I don't sleep on that side). My fee tingle at times for no apparent reason.
Category: Health
Expert:  Judy replied 10 years ago.
It could be due to carpal tunnel syndrome - this occurs because of the position of the hand during certain repetitive actions or for long periods of time such as sleeping. It could be tht although you don't sleep on the hand, you may be curling it up in a way that the wrist is flexed and/or the thumb and pinkie are coming toward each other. This compresses the "carpal tunnel" which houses the median nerve. The median nerve supplies the thumb, forefinger, middle finger, and adjacent side ot the ring finger as well as the back of the hand at times and more often the palmar surface. Wrist splints can help at night and that may improve the aability to tolerate those other activities without the hand going numb. Alternatievely, you could see a neurologist and have an EMG /nerve conduction study, and an evaluation for surgery if the diagnosis of carpal tunnel is found. You should also be sure that there is no impingement of the nerves that come through the neck and the shoulder.