BelindaRN
BelindaRN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  Cardiac Charge Nurse for 7 years, ACLS certified
2751438

There is a little bit of blood on my stool (not very much),

There is a little bit of blood on my stool (not very much), but what is getting me worried is what looks like bloody intestinal tissue coming out when I have a bowel movement. It is just in the water of the toilet bowl. It looks almost like the tissue that comes out during menstruation, but it is not as bloody and it is definitely not coming out of my vagina. What does this mean, and should I be very worried? I feel absolutely normal and have not had any other symptoms. This has been happening for a while, though.

Thank you for using Just Answer. What you may be seeing, could be blood that has clotted in your colon prior to being expelled. Passing blood in your stool is abnormal and could indicate serious health problems. You should report these symptoms to your physican and be referred to a gastroenterologist for examination. If your bleeding persists or increases, or if you experience light headedness or dizziness, this could indicate significant blood loss. You should call 911 if this occurrs.

Here is a web page with more information on GI bleeding.

http://gi.org/patients/gibleeding/index.asp

I hope you find this information helpful. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

Belinda RN

Customer: replied 10 years ago.
I'd like to know what this could be a symptom of. It's not so much blood as it is tissue coming out, and I find that very strange. There's not much of it, but there might be one, two or three little pieces floating in the toilet when I'm done, looking kind of like a string of menstrual tissue but not so red. I haven't been able to find much information on this, whereas there seems to be plenty about blood in the stool.

The only thing I could suggest is that you take a stool sample to your physician and have it analyzed. You could have a parasite or a worm that could resemble tissue. Your diet could have profound effects on how your stool looks. Intestinal disorders causing malabsorption can affect the consitency of your bowel movements as well. But again I would like to emphasize that blood in your stool is abnormal. It could indicate ulcerative colitis or colon cancer. Without propper examination of your stool and colon, there is no way to determine for sure what you are seeing in your bowel movements.

I hope this answers your question more thoroughly. Please feel free to contact me again if I can be of any further assistance.

Belinda RN