Health

Ask Health Experts and Get Answers to Your Health Question ASAP

Health

I have frequent kidney pain when sleeping. What would cause

Customer Question
small white beeds that look...
I have frequent kidney pain when sleeping. What would cause small white beeds that look like styrofoam from the urine? They are like fatty tissue. There were about 50 with some clustered and some not.
Submitted: 11 years ago.Category: Health
11/7/2006
Health Professional: Gloria K, Nurse (RN) replied 11 years ago
Gloria K
Gloria K, Nurse (RN)
HiCustomer thanks for using Just Answer this morning for your question, my name's ***** ***** I'm online now to help you. Can you tell me a little more?

Have you been diagnosed with kidney problems/disease?

Can you describe the pain for me?

Write me back now with your answers, and I can help you.
Reply to Gloria K's Post: The pain is more severe from the area of the right kidney. I usually sleep on my left side. If I sleep on my right side, the pain in the right kidney usually subsides. I have had a cat scan which revealed some scarring of the kidney and some fatty areas but no real damage about a year ago.
1. How long have you had this pain?

2. When did you notice this in your urine?

3. Did it just happen once, or does it happen each time you urinate?

4. Would you say the urine looks foamy?

5. Any fever?

6. Any pain, burning with urination?

I'm sorry for the list of questions. More information allows me to help you better.
Reply to Gloria K's Post: The pain sometimes goes away for weeks or months probably when I decrease the amount of coffee or cola drinks and increase the amount of water I drink. but the pain has been on and off for probably
about 20 years or more.
This was just in my urine once. It happened last night.
No, It did not look foamy. I looked like round droplets of fatty tissue. This morning there were extremely tiny pieces of the same material. Last night they were about 1/8-1/4" in diameter.
No fever
No pain while urinating, no burning.
1. Have you ever had kidney stones?

2. Any blood in the urine?

3. Do you have diabetes, high blood pressure, etc, any diseases you have been diagnosed with?

4. What was the scarring on the kidneys from?

5. Have you had your kidney function or an urinalysis done recently?
I am a diabetic and have been taking 2 types of injected insulin (Lantis and Novolog) for about 2 or 3 years. My sugar levels vary, but before meals they are usually around 150.
1. Have you had your kidney function and urinalysis tests done recently?

2. Can you tell me what the kidney scarring was from?

3. Any blood in the urine?

4. Any history of kidney stones?
Reply to Gloria K's Post: No, I have never had kidney stones. There was an incident of blood in the urine which triggerd the cat scan about 1-2 years ago. the short stream of blood was near the end of a urine stream and followed a long drive in which I waited far too long to urinate. I assume the scarring was from that incident. My Dr has told me there was some fatty tissue on my kidneys. I used to have high blood pressure. Since I lost about 80 pounds my BP has been perfect. No, I have not had a kidney function test or a recent urinalisys.
Just a few more questions,

Would you say these droplets look like pus?

Or do they just look fatty, mucousy?

Does the urine have any odor?
Reply to Gloria K's Post: There was no odor, and the color was pretty white. I would not describe it as an appearance of puss, but more like fatty tissue. My wife looked at it and even picked up a piece and smelled it and there was no odor.
Just two more questions, I promise!

How well is your diabetes controlled overall?

Can you tell me your last blood sugar reading?
Reply to Gloria K's Post: before eating this morning it was at 141. Since eating about 30 minutes ago it is now at 192. Those numbers are typical for me.
Call your doctor now and let him/her know of these symptoms- pain, fatty substances in your urine, white urine. Mention if you have any swelling in your body or decreased urine production if you develop these symptoms. Your doctor needs to do a simple urinalysis and draw some blood to check your kidney function. You may have anything from a simple urinary tract infection, to something such as a kidney infection, or even the start of kidney disease from the diabetes. I don't want to worry you, because it could be many things- your doctor can diagnose it with a urinalysis and blood draw. Here's some more information on how a simple urinalysis can diagnose what you have (read about urine casts):

http://www.webmd.com/hw/health_guide_atoz/hw6580.asp

The quicker it is diagnosed, the quicker you can get treatment, if something is going on with your kidneys. Call your doctor now. If you have anymore questions, please continue to ask me. I'm still online to help you if you need. Otherwise, if I have answered your question, please hit the accept button. Thanks, Gloria.

All information contained herein is not intended for the diagnosis or treatment of medical conditions and is not a substitute for professional medical care. All information is general advice and opinions and is not official medical/nursing advice, health teaching, or health counseling. Information provided should not be used in any emergency situation- call 911 for all medical emergencies.
Reply to Gloria K's Post: No, I am not satisfied with that answer. I want to know what the substance is from my urine. To tell me     anyone can tell you to go see your Dr. I could have done that without asking for your help.
Were you able to read about urine casts in the above link? These are fatty deposits in the urine that can be caused by some types of kidney disease. The white urine as well, can indicate kidney disease, because the kidneys are not flushing wastes out the way they should be (urine is yellow from the wastes the body flushes out through the kidneys). It could also be a urinary tract infection. Kidney disease is serious, and needs to be evaluated and treated by a doctor. This is not something you can treat at home. The only way to determine if you have kidney disease or infection is a urinalysis and blood kidney function test. Please continue to ask questions if you need to. I'm still online.
Gloria K
Gloria K
Gloria K, Nurse (RN)