Health

Ask Health Experts and Get Answers to Your Health Question ASAP

Health

My husband has bruising around his naval (belly button) and

Customer Question
Hi, My husband has bruising...
Hi, My husband has bruising around his naval (belly button) and the bruise seems to be getting bigger. What could this be caused by and should we go to the emergency room immediately or can this wait until he can see a doctor tomorrow, We live in California so the wait at any emergency room can be 6 hours + . Could you explain what this could be ? Thanks
Submitted: 11 years ago.Category: Health
10/18/2006
Health Professional: DoctorL, Doctor (MD) replied 11 years ago
DoctorL
DoctorL, Doctor (MD)
Hi

What you are desribing is known as Caput Medusa. This may be due to severe portal hypertension caused by a liver problem. I know its not easy being in an emergency room, but I would suggest you take your husband to the ER.

I hope this helps. If you have any further questions don’t hesitate to ask.
DoctorL

DoctorL
DoctorL, Doctor (MD)
Reply to DoctorL's Post: Yes this answer helpful .. can I ask something further that relates to this ?
Hi
Sure you can.
DoctorL
Reply to DoctorL's Post: Hi Dr. L,

Thank you for your reply I don't know how this service works do i have to pay for each question ? Of course my husband is giving me a hard time here. Can I ask something else ?
Hi

You dont need to pay for every question. Go ahead and ask whatever you need to ask. I am here to help.
DoctorL
Reply to DoctorL's Post: Thanks. No I am scared. Thanks for being so kind about helping me. OK. He had a stint put in in May and had a bleeding ulser so they had to do it 2x's.

we live near Loma Linda University ( 30 min ) and he had the heart surgery at Pomona Valley. He has been on blood thinners. Would this have any thing to do with this bruise. He is not a drinker.
Hi

The bruise you are seeing is due to high blood pressure in the veins that are in his liver. There a lot of reasond why this could be hapening but its not related to the ulcer. It would be better if you do go to the ER.

DoctorL

DoctorL
Reply to DoctorL's Post: Hi also should I push this accept button now or wait until the end to pay u ....sorry just don't know how this works and I am nervous. Would it be ok to go to an Urgent Care Center or go to the hospital ?
Hi

You may go to either one, whereever you think you may be seen the ssonest or get the best help. Everything should be ok. If you do need anything else dont hesitate to ask, I am here to help.
If you found my answers helpful you may click the gree Accept button.
DoctorL
Reply to DoctorL's Post: Thank you again.

He has been on high blood pressure medicine for a long time and none off his doctors have ever been concerned about his blood pressure.

What will they do to correct this?
Will it require a hospital stay or how is this treated?
Reply to DoctorL's Post: Hi ... what do they do to treat this ?
Hi

This is not due to the high blood pressure he is being treated for. What causing this is the high blood pressure in the liver veins. Treatmeant would depend on what the cause is. The physicians in the ER would be able to determine what the cause is and decide on proper treatment.

DoctorL
Reply to DoctorL's Post: Hi last question .. what is the typical treatment?? Or is it even treatable ?? Do they have to do surgery ??
Hi

Yes it is treatable. I would not be able to tell you how they would treat it without knowing what is causing it.
DoctorL
Reply to DoctorL's Post: Hi what are

1. Causes of this

2. What is the treatment for Caput Medusa ?
Hi

Caput medusa is the red dicoloration you are seeing around the belly button, and the cause is the high blood pressure in his liver veins. what is cauing the high presure in is liver veins is something that the physicians in the ER would be able to tell once tey have run the appropriate test, I would not be able to answer that. And ofcourse treatment would depend on hat is causing this.
DoctorL
Reply to DoctorL's Post: Hi Again Dr. L.,

Don't know if you are still on-line. Went to the emergency room but husband would not wait (we were there over an hour) anyway, he says he will see internist tomorrow. Well hope he does.

Anyway, i looked at pix on internet of caput medusa. Possibly, they were sever cases. However, my husbands bruise looks just like a regular bruise you would get on your arm. Think this is still what it is?
Health Professional: NurseElisa, LPN replied 11 years ago
NurseElisa
I totally agree with Dr. L. Caput medusa is due to high blood pressure creating distention of the veins of the liver and abdomen, but the fact that your husband is on blood thinners can cause this potentially be a life and death emergency - because if one of those veins were to burst, there is a poor chance for survival. This happened to a neighbor around the corner from me last year - and was found dead in her home of a massive hemorrhage.

It is best that your husband be patient and understand why we BOTH agree that he needs to go BACK to the Emergency Room and let the professionals take care of him.
Caput medusa plus blood thinners are deadly.
DoctorL
DoctorL
DoctorL, Doctor (MD)