Dr Amit Munjal
Dr Amit Munjal, Physician
Experience:  B.A.M.S{Ayurveda Physician}Worked in various clinical departments like Medicine,ER,Gynae
1189392

Is it normal for a baby to have it's mouth open in 20 week

Is it normal for a baby to have it's mouth open in 20 week ultrasound pictures?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr Amit Munjal replied 11 years ago.

Hello

Yes it is normal to have mouth open in 20 week ultrasound .Infact the fetus drinks the amniotic fluid and passes urine while in the womb.

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Dr AMIT MUNJAL's Post: Thank you! I was concerned after typing the question in online and I saw fetus abnormalities such as harlequin fetus and others. I am just worried that something like this could be the case. Would this have showed up during the ultrasound?

Hello

This is very rare with incidence of one in 300000 births.I have not seen even a single case in my clinical practice.I dont think you should be bothered at all.If Foetal heart rate and all other parameters(foetal organ measurments) are normal you should not worry about these congenital abnormalities.Foetus drinks amniotic fluid which resulted in open mouth and i dont think anything to worry.

There are two types of Ultrasound Level 1 and level 2 .Level 2 ultrasounds are more detailed and can detect congenital abnormalities accurately upto the tune of 90% .

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Dr AMIT MUNJAL's Post: Thank you again for your response. I guess I am just worried because of my lack of folic acid before pregnancy. It was an unplanned pregnancy so I am worried that I was not getting the correct nutrients. Would a cleft pallet be a cause for the open mouth either? If so, would there have been suspiction during the sonogram? The Dr. and sonogram technition did say that everything looked great.

Obviously I am a first time Mom :) Thank you!

Cleft palate should not be missed on Ultrasound.A cleft palate can be diagnosed as early as 16 weeks.

Check this link

http://www.widesmiles.org/faceup/accuracyfacts.htm