How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, MD Your Own Question
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, MD
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, MD, Doctor (MD)
Category: Health
Satisfied Customers: 9032
Experience:  Twenty years experience in active private practice
Type Your Health Question Here...
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, MD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a lump on the right side of my pubic area near the

Resolved Question:

I have a lump on the right side of my pubic area near the groin. It started out when I first noticed it about the size of a dime. I have used hot compresses but now it is nowabout the size of a hens egg, it is quite sore as my thigh rubs against it when sitting or walking,and has grown larger in the last week, I think it might be a cyst or a boil, there is no open sore, pimple or exit for this lump to drain from.At times it feels like a burning sensation in one certain area of it near the distal end. Is there anyway I can open this up to let it drain. I have been applying hot compresses to it 3 times daily, which does lessen the pain. Ihave had this for about 2 weeks.Thank you.
Submitted: 10 years ago.
Category: Health
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Relist: No answer yet.
I have not received an answer, this lump is growing more and more painful. If I do not have an answer then I want my paypal deposit back.
Expert:  Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, MD replied 10 years ago.


Wher exactly is this lump? On the pubic hair? In between the thigh and the pubis, along the pantyline? Or is it lower down, in the lower part of the labia majora?

Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, MD(O's Post: It is in the pubic hair area to the right side close to the groin, there is no head or pimple like area to indicate it can drain, there is no weeping or crusting. It is hard, and to touch at skin level in areas has a burning sensation. Otherwise it now aches and is about the size of a golf ball or larger.
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
I think this is either a boil or a carbuncle I have never had one before. How long does it usually take to open itself up to drain?
Expert:  Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, MD replied 10 years ago.


I think the lump is quite likely to be a large boil. The pubic hair area being a soft, fatty area can allow a boil to grow to quite a big size before it bursts. If it is hard to touch, the boil is probably quite deep inside the tissues. I doubt if you could cause it to rupture by any treatment at home. Even if it does rupture spontaneously at home, you will need to consult a doctor who can help in opening out the boil for complete drainage. A boil situated deep inside the skin is very difficult to drain.

Ideally, you need to take antibiotics to cause the boil to come to a point. You will need to take antibiotics even after it has ruptured anyway, since it has increased to such a large size .

Hot compresses would have caused a point to form if the lump had been somewhat superficial.

Please take Motrin tablets 500 mg twice daily after food . This will minimize the pain.

But I really think you need to see a doctor. I do not think a lump of this size can be managed at home.

I hope this helps.

Let me know if you need more input. If not, please click on the green"Accept" button on this page. A positive rating and adding a bonus will be warmly appreciated.

Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, MD and 5 other Health Specialists are ready to help you