How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, MD Your Own Question
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, MD
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, MD, Doctor (MD)
Category: Health
Satisfied Customers: 9032
Experience:  Twenty years experience in active private practice
Type Your Health Question Here...
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, MD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Why does my anus ache after a bowel movement for eight

Resolved Question:

why does my anus ache after a bowel movement for eight hours, and then subsides? Also I can feel a tear when I pass stool. Is there anything to ease the ache as I am loosing sleep?
Submitted: 10 years ago.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, MD replied 10 years ago.


You are suffering from a condition called Anal Fissure. Sometimes, while passing hard stools, a tear or split occurs on the edge of the anus. There may or may nor be any bleeding or pain the first time it occurs. The tear heals by forming a scar. But soon, when another bout of constipation occurs, the tear occurs again at the same place, breaking down the scar. The cycle is repeated - a scar is formed, breaks and then occurs again. And each time, the scar becomes wider and deeper, causing narrowing of the anus. In tine, even passing of normal stool or even soft stool can be painful, since the anal canal is narrowed down and cannot dilate.

The treatment for the condition depends on how far advanced it is. If diagnosed early, stool softeners, antibiotics and anti-inflammatory medicines and lubricants to apply around the anus can often be enough. If the condition has been occurring for a long time and scarring is extensive, you may need surgery to cut away the scar tissue and enlarge the opening of the anus. Regular dilatation of the anus is also necessary. Plese see a proctologist (a surgeon who specializes in diseases of the anus and rectum) for treatment.

I hope this helps.

Let me know if you need more input. If not, please click on the green"Accept" button on this page. A positive rating and adding a bonus will be warmly appreciated.

Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, MD and 3 other Health Specialists are ready to help you