Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, MD
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, MD, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Twenty years experience in active private practice
1725470

My menstruation has lasted for eight days. This is the first

my menstruation has lasted for eight days. This is the first time this happens to me. I am 24 years old. Also, every period is more painful and heavier, and shoots pain down into my upper leg on the first day. Is this normal?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, MD replied 11 years ago.

A normal menstrual period should last from 2-7 days. But if you have always had a period for 8 days, itis possible that this is normal for you since all women have their own routine.

But, what is not normal is that you should have periods that are getting heavier and more painful. You could have constion called endometriosis which cause these symptoms. Please consult a gynecologist for a proper examination and treatment. You will probaly need a longterm treatment of about 9 month for a complete cure.

I hope this helps.

Let me know if you need more input. If not, please click on the green"Accept" button on this page. A positive rating and adding a bonus will be warmly appreciated.

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, MD(O's Post: Thank you for your answer. However, in my question I stated that this is the first time this has happened to me, not that it is normal for me. In fact, today is my ninth day of menstration. With this acclaration, does the same recomendation apply?

Although this is the first time that your periods have been prolonged, you have mentioned that every period is more painful and heavier. These are both symptoms of endometriosis. Although it is possible that you do not have the disease, it is better and safer to get a thorough check up and either rule out or confirm it. This will help in earlier diagnosis and earlier treatment.

A single period that is longer than normal may be due to a temporary hormonal imbalance. Treatment is not usually necessary unless the bleeding is also very heavy. If however you have prolonged periods for more than 3 months, then there is a definite problem and you will need to consult a doctor. It is also possible that the prolonged period is just a symptom of the underlying disease, and this is the first episode.

If the bleeding is not very heavy, you can wait and see for 3 months if your periods become regular and normal. if the bleeding is very heavy or if you have prolonged period for another 3 months please consult a gynecologist.

I hope this helps.