Deborah
Deborah, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  Registered NP - Multispeciality
761613

I had blood drawn two days ago and now have a huge lump and

Customer Question

I had blood drawn two days ago and now have a huge lump and bruise on the inside of my arm, about 7inches in diameter. In the middle of the bruise is a lump that has turned white. My whole arm is achy. I'm concerned about a possible clot. Should I go to the emergency room to get it checked?
Category: Health
Expert:  Deborah replied 10 years ago.

You have a nasty bruise. There is no need to go to the ER not unless your arm is hot and red to the touch.

Bruises after blood tests are caused by bleeding under the skin. The most common causes of bruising after a blood test is a lack of pressure on the site of the test until the bleeding has stopped, or if the needle damaged the vein or other blood vessels while it was being inserted. Although bruises can be painful, they harmless.

Please let me know if you have questions or concerns.