Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, MD
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, MD, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Twenty years experience in active private practice
1725470

I have this burning sensation on my side. It feels like its

i have this burning sensation on my side. It feels like its burning on the inside of my skin, just at my waist. If i touch the area it feels like skin would when its burned. there is no rash or marks, just this constant burning soreness.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, MD replied 11 years ago.

A burning pain is usually due to a damage or pinching of a nerve that supplies that area of the skin or tissues. Since the part of the skin at the waist is supplied by nerves coming out of the spinal cord, it is possible that you have a problem at the spine, perhaps a herniated or prolapsed disc.

Please consult an orthopedist (bone doctor) for a check up and possibly an Xay and CAT scan.

I hope this helps.

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, MD(O's Post: if i had something wrong with the nerves from my spine, should i have some type of pain in my spine. the pain is on the side of my waist and seems to be moving forward

You may not necessarily have any pain at the spine. In many cases, a disc herniation can occur silently without producing any specific symptoms. The fact that the pain has a burning sensation to it shows that the nerve supplying that area is being pinched somewhere, most likely at the level it emerges from the spinal cord.

The nerves that come out of the spine curve around the body along the sides and goes forward to the middle of the body in the front. And, as you have said, the pain seems to be moving forward - so it is the nerve supplying that area that is being affected.

I hope this helps.

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, MD(O's Post: just one more question, could there be a possibility that i'm getting shingles. my mom had shingles and before the rash came out she had pain similiar to this in the same area

Shingles is caused by infection with the virus Herpes Zoster. Since it affects the nerves, it causes a burning pain (similar to yours) followed by development of rashes along the path of distribution of the nerve. But the common sites of shingles are the face, forehead, scalp and chest. It can however occasionally occur along the waist.

The rashes for shingles appears 1 week after the burning pain. So you can wait for 1 week and see if you develop rashes. If you do, then you have shingles. If you don't then you will need to consult a doctor for an examination of your spine.

I hope this helps.