EsquireEmily
EsquireEmily, Counselor with advanced degrees
Experience:  General medical experience + sexual and mental health. Worked in hospitals and clinics.
1627255

I cannot get my fingernails to grow and they are getting

I cannot get my fingernails to grow and they are getting worse. They are soft and peel until they are now into the quick. I am 68 years old and have never had strong nails but they are the worst they have ever been. I went on the weight watchers eating plan two years ago and the nails seem to have gotten worse since then. I have tried various nail strength products but they have only made the problem worse after each treatment. What can I do?
Sorry to keep using the word "worse" but I don't know how else to express the problem. I am getting to the point where I have trouble buttoning buttons.
Category: Health
Expert:  DrAustin replied 11 years ago.
gelatin capsules can be gotten from any health food store..... this will increase the strength of both hair and nails. Have you seen your doctor to check for possible nail fungus? If the gelatin capsules don't halp I would definitely see my M.D. to check for any nail infection and also to check your thyroid, which, when low , the thyroid can be the cause of very thin brittle nails.

I hope this has helped.

Thank you for trusting me with your health issues.
DrAustin, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)
Experience: Doctor of Dental Surgery 20 + years experience
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Relist: I prefer a second opinion. I cannot get my fingernails to grow. They are not hard and brittle, but soft and they peel. They are so soft that anytime I try to use them the peel off and become even shorter. The thumbs and first two fingers on both hands are now down to the quick and unusable. I am even having trouble buttoning buttons or fastening the clasp on jewelry. I have tried many OTC products to harden up my nails but they work just the opposite and make them even softer.
Expert:  EsquireEmily replied 11 years ago.
DearCustomer

I agree with the other expert that you should probably get things checked out by a doctor. He/she may refer you to a dermatologist who will help you by giving you something to help your fingernails grow and stop peeling. Note: Peeling nails and nails that won't grow are sometimes caused by a nutrition deficit, so seeing your doctor is important.

In the mean time, there are two things you can do:

First, if you are not intollerant to milk, you should start drinking milk on a daily basis, or increase how much you drink. The calcium does wonders for your hair and nails.

Second, your diet may be low in biotin, which part of the Vitamin B family. You should start eating more peanuts and peanutbutter, cauliflower, lentils, egg yolk, liver, Brewer's yeast, soybeans, and walnuts.

Third, use petrolium jelly on your fingernails and cuticles at night before going to bed. This will help to keep you nails hydrated.

Fourth, keep your nails away from harsh chemicals like bleach, and excessive contact with water. If you do household chores, be sure to wear gloves!
Experience: General medical experience + sexual and mental health. Worked in hospitals and clinics.