AnnlynnRN
AnnlynnRN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  RN - 16 years in ICU & Critical Care (Cardiac, Neurology, Trauma, & Medical/Surgical ICU.)
64436

the bone structure in my lower mouth at the bottom has

Customer Question

the bone structure in my lower mouth, at the bottom has gotten bigger on one side. I don't know what it's called, but it's at the base of my mouth. It doesn't hurt, but feels much, much bigger all of a sudden. It's behind my bottom, front teeth, and I can noticably feel it with my tongue. What causes this and is it a problem?

Optional Information:
Female , Age: 31

Already Tried:
nothing

Category: Health
Expert:  AnnlynnRN replied 11 years ago.

It's possible you have an impacted tooth. Another possibility could be an infection of the submandibular and/or sublingual gland. These are salivary glands located on the floor of the mouth near the area you described. Sometimes the gland can become blocked from the formation of a small hard particle that's composed of chemicals from the saliva. These chemicals can then harden into a solid material and block the gland. The glands then become engorged with saliva and may become swollen. This can be diagnosed with an x-ray and treated with minor surgical excision.

Your orthodontist can can diagnose and treat this. I suggest you make an appointment. Best wishes to you.

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
HI. If I leave this alone, will it heal itself? Must I get it treated? It doesn't hurt.