How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Gupta Your Own Question
Dr. Gupta
Dr. Gupta, Doctor (MD)
Category: Health
Satisfied Customers: 8044
Experience:  Vastly experienced MD Physician with 19 years of experience.
Type Your Health Question Here...
Dr. Gupta is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I fell and had a loud pop noise in my knee, now it is

Customer Question

I fell and had a loud pop noise in my knee, now it is swelling and painful if i try and strighten it, whats wrong?
Submitted: 11 years ago.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Gupta replied 11 years ago.

Hi Angee,
There can be two possibilities-

  • ACL tear- Anterior crociate ligament tear which joins the back of the inside of the thighbone to the outside front of the shinbone.

When the ACL is completely ruptured, it is common to hear a distinct popping sound. You may also feel something snap inside the knee. If the knee appears loose, it is usually a sign of an ACL injury. Other symptoms include:

  • pain and tenderness

  • almost immediate swelling

  • an unstable knee, making it difficult to walk

  • the knee locking during movement

Treatment depends on how badly the knee is affected by the loss of the ligament . Severe injury may need a reconstruction operation.

  • Patellar tendon rupture - The tendon that connects the kneecap to the thigh muscle (patellar tendon) can be torn if the knee is bent too far back. A popping or tearing sound may occur. There is also pain, swelling and weakness of the joint. With the knee protected in a knee brace, a partial tear of the tendon can heal within several weeks. A complete tear may require surgery.

Either of the two injuries require an Orthopaedic examination as soon as possible. If you are at home, take some pain killers like Tylenol or Mortin, do not move your affected knee joint or put weight on it and contact your doctor.

Please remember to accept the reply if you find it useful. A BONUS and a positive rating would be duly appreciated,
Dr. Gupta

Expert:  Dr. Gupta replied 11 years ago.

I was just wondering if you need any further information. If
not, and if you are satisfied with my answer, please consider clicking on the
accept button.

Dr. Gupta

Related Health Questions