Health

Ask Health Experts and Get Answers to Your Health Question ASAP

Health

I am having discomfort swallowing food, and there is pain

when it hits my stomach...
I am having discomfort swallowing food, and there is pain when it hits my stomach, it is not heart burn

Optional Information: Female , Age: 51
11/5/2005
Cyndi
Cyndi, Nurse
Does it hurt going down to your stomach? Have you had any surgery or procedures to this area, such as radiation?
Reply to Cynd's Post: I have had no surgeries, and Yes it hurts going down, and then I feel pain when the food hits my stomach
You sound like you have esogastritis, from yeast or some irritation by pills. Sometime people also get strictures in there esophagus. Look at this link for more http://www.clevelandclinic.org/health/health-info/docs/2800/2896.asp?index=10138information.http://www.mercksource.com/pp/us/cns/cns_hl_adam.jspzQzpgzEzzSzppdocszSzuszSzcnszSzcontentzSzadamzSzencyzSzarticlezSz001143zPzhtm
I you have any question please feel free to ask, if not conside hitting the green button to close and rate. Thank you and God Bless
Cyndi
Cyndi, Nurse
my answer has a link that will not open, the answer was esogastritis and I would like more information
Lets see try this! http://www.clevelandclinic.org/health/health-info/docs/2800/2896.asp?index=10138information.http://www.mercksource.com/pp/us/cns/cns_hl_adam.jspzQzpgzEzzSzppdocszSzuszSzcnszSzcontentzSzadamzSzencyzSzarticlezSz001143zPzhtm
I am going to list this for you in case it will not open again.

Esophagitis
What is esophagitis?

Esophagitis is an inflammation of the lining of the esophagus, the tube that connects the throat to the stomach. If left untreated, this condition can become very uncomfortable, causing difficulty in swallowing and ulcers or scarring of the esophagus. In rare instances, a condition known as Barrett’s esophagus may develop which is a risk factor for cancer of the esophagus.

What causes esophagitis?
Esophagitis is caused by an infection or irritation in the esophagus. An infection can be caused by bacteria, viruses, fungi or diseases that weaken the immune system. Irritation can be caused by any of the following:

A backflow of acid fluid from the stomach to the esophagus (GERD)
Vomiting
Surgery
Medications such as aspirin and anti-inflammatories
Hernias
What are the symptoms of esophagitis?
Symptoms of esophagitis include:

Difficult and/or painful swallowing
Heartburn
Mouth sores
A feeling of something of being stuck in the throat
Nausea
Vomiting

If you have any of these symptoms, you should contact your health care provider as soon as possible.

How is esophagitis diagnosed?
Once your doctor has performed a thorough physical examination and reviewed your medical history, there are several tests that can be used to diagnose esophagitis. These include:

Endoscopy: A test in which a long, flexible lighted tube called an endoscope is used to look at the esophagus
Biopsy: During this test, a small sample of the esophageal tissue is removed and then sent to a laboratory to be examined under a microscope.
Barium x-ray: During this procedure, x-rays are taken of the esophagus after the patient drinks a barium solution. Barium coats the lining of the esophagus and shows up white on an x-ray. This characteristic enables doctors to view any abnormalities.

How is esophagitis treated?
Treatment for esophagitis depends on its cause. While medications that block acid production may be recommended, antibiotics may be prescribed for infections for esophagitis caused by acid reflux. In order to treat pain brought on by esophagitis, your doctor may give you an analgesic to gargle and then swallow.

While being treated for esophagitis, there are certain steps you can take to help limit any discomfort that you may feel. These include:

Avoiding spicy foods such as those with pepper, chili powder, curry and nutmeg
Avoiding hard foods such as nuts, crackers and raw vegetables
Avoiding acidic foods and beverages such as tomatoes, oranges, grapefruits and their juices. Instead, try nectars and imitation fruit drinks with vitamin C
Including more soft foods such as applesauce, cooked cereals, mashed potatoes, custards, puddings and high protein shakes in your diet
Taking small bites and chewing your food thoroughly
If swallowing becomes increasingly difficult, try tilting your head upward so the food flows to the back of the throat before swallowing
Drinking liquids through a straw to make swallowing easier
Avoiding alcohol and tobacco
What is the prognosis for esophagitis?
The causes of esophagitis usually respond to treatment, however some causes, such as acid reflux, may require long-term treatment.

© Copyright 1995-2005 The Cleveland Clinic Foundation. All rights reserved

I wonder why it didn't work, anyhow I hope this is helpful. Good luck and God Bless...Thank you
Thankyou very much...That was helpfull, I have been taking ibprofen due to a knee injury, but not on a daily basis any more. I had surgery last March and had been taking them frequently then, but not so much lately. I have made a Doctors appointment next week. Thanks again for sending the info from the link that wouldnt open! I feel safe in using this site in the future   Karen
You are very welcome Karen.
Feel free to visit anytime.

Thank you, ***** *****
Cyndi
Cyndi
Cyndi, Nurse