Kerry
Kerry, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  35 years in Nursing: OB/GYN, Peds, Oncology, hospice, Ortho, Neuro, Addiction, Recovery, Geriatrics,
169559

I have a sudden garlic smell in my house. no one is cooking

i have a sudden garlic smell in my house. no one is cooking anything so what could it be?
Does anyone in the house have arthritis? If so the smell could be coming from an arthritis cream recently being introduced to your house. One of the ingredients and may such preparations is a substance called DMSO.

DMSO which is a solvent made from the wood pulp manufacturing process. It is used as a carrier for medication because it can deliver the medication through the skin. DMSO smells very much like garlic.

If this answers your question, please help me out by pressing the accept button.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Robert Michal's Post:

No one is using arthritis cream and right now it is not so strong. We are in the middle of some home repairs as we just bought a house that needs work. I was wondering if it was something dangerous in the home or --I know this sounds crazy--but maybe something of the paranormal.

Hi Jill

Garlic is known to scare off bad spirits, so that would be a good thing if it were paranormal!

That being said, perhaps you pulled out something from under a cupboard, or broke open a wall before the smell occurred? It is possible that who ever lived there before planted garlic as a new home ritual. Or, there could be some old garlic stuffed in a cupboard somewhere. Someone could have even spilled garlic juice at one point in time.

I have done some research and nothing caustic would be causing your odors. So that's a good thing too!

Hope you enjoy your new home.

Kerry

Kerry, Nurse (RN)
Experience: 35 years in Nursing: OB/GYN, Peds, Oncology, hospice, Ortho, Neuro, Addiction, Recovery, Geriatrics,