Health

Ask Health Experts and Get Answers to Your Health Question ASAP

Health

My stool has been bright for 3 days. What could cause this?

Customer Question
My stool has been bright...
My stool has been bright green for 3 days. What could cause this? I can't think of anything I have done or eaten that is different.
Submitted: 12 years ago.Category: Health
9/24/2005
Health Professional: Lindie, Healthcare Expert replied 12 years ago
Lindie
Lindie, Healthcare Expert

If you have the occasional green stool—don't panic! Most likely it is normal, and there is a perfectly reasonable explanation. Think about the foods you ate, any vitamins or supplements you took—even if they're not green in color.

There can be many reasons why stool appears to be green. The first and most obvious reason is eating green foods. Green, leafy vegetables contain chlorophyll which could be coloring the stool green. Foods with dark purple coloring like Kool-Aid, popsicles, and gelatin (Jell-O) can also result in rainbow-colored stools. Iron supplements or even foods that are rich in iron can also give stool a green tinge.

Stool can also appear green for physical reasons, and not just from what you've been eating.

We think of a healthy stool as being brown. Bile that is secreted in the first part of the small intestine is actually green. As stool is digested and passed through the large intestine it is turned into a darker brown color.

If stool is still green by the time it is excreted, it could mean that it went through the large intestine too fast to be changed in color. This is often called "rapid transit" or "decreased colonic transit time" and diarrhea that is green in color could be the result.

If green stool continues, or your bowel habits have changed in other ways, you may want to call your doctor. This is especially true if you are experiencing diarrhea which can be an indication of other problems or could lead to dehydration.

http://ibscrohns.about.com/cs/otherdiseases/a/greenstool.htm

If you need anything else please feel free to ask. If you found this helpful don’t forget to click the *accept* button!

zSB(3,3);if(!z336){var zIsb=gEI("adsb");if(zIsb){zIsb.style.display="inline";zIsb.style.height="0px";zIsb.style.width="0px";}var zIss=gEI("adss");if(zIss){zIss.style.display="inline";zIss.style.height="0px";zIss.style.width="0px";}}
Reply to Lindie's Post: None of those circumstances fit me. Your answer was of no help.

Those are the reason for green stool.

Possible causes of symptom: Green stool: The following medical conditions are some of the possible causes of Green stool as a symptom. There are likely to be other possible causes, so ask your doctor about your symptoms.

Contents for Symptom: Green stool

http://www.wrongdiagnosis.com/sym/green_stool.htm

If you need anything else please feel free to ask.

Reply to Lindie's Post: Please refund my deposit.

You can write to *****@******.*** not sure what answer you are wanting since you were given the correct answer

Thanx

Reply to Lindie's Post: You do not have to be rude to me. Your answer was not applicable to me.

I'm not being rude, I'm just stating a fact. I don't know what answer you are looking for. You said you are having green stool. The above responses are the reason one has green stool. If you have an idea that goes beyond that please share. But those above are the main reason.. I'm here to help not be rude, nor have I have been told I was rude. Just as I had mentioned above "If you need anything else please feel free to ask"

Health Professional: Kerry, Nurse (RN) replied 12 years ago
Kerry
Kerry, Nurse (RN)

What kind of answer would be applicable? We are here to help. How can we do that?

Kerry

Kerry
Kerry
Kerry, Nurse (RN)