Health

What is monoclonal gammopathy

Customer Question
what is monoclonal gammopathy... Read full answer
what is monoclonal gammopathy
Submitted: 13 years ago.Category: Health
9/15/2005
Health Professional: Dr. Gupta, Doctor (MD) replied 13 years ago
Dr. Gupta
Dr. Gupta, Doctor (MD)
A monoclonal gammopathy indicates the presence of abnormal levels of a protein in the blood. The protein is produced by a group of cells in the bone marrow called plasma cells. Plasma cells are normally found in the bone marrow and represent approximately 1 percent of all marrow cells. They produce the antibodies that help the body fight infection. Abnormal proteins circulating in the blood are not rare. They occur in 1 percent of healthy people over the age of 50 and in 3 percent of people over the age of 70. Monoclonal gammopathy can occur in both sexes and in people of all backgrounds and occupations. In about 80 percent of cases, the abnormal protein does not cause any problems. However, over time, 20 percent of people will experience an increase in the amount of abnormal protein in their blood, which may develop into a more serious condition, including some forms of cancer.
http://www.mayoclinic.org/monoclonal-gammopathy/?WT.mc_id=1&WT.mc_n=OSMX&WT.srch=1
http://www.vetmed.lsu.edu/oncology/monoclon.htm
Please get back to me if there are any more queries. Do remember to accept the answer if you find it useful. A positive rating and a bonus at your discretion would be appreciated.
Regards
Dr. Gupta
Still looking for an answer to your question? 
Similar Q&As
I have been diagnosed with polyclonal gammopathy and I have
I have been diagnosed with polyclonal gammopathy and I have been sick with my liver! The doctor told me to go on a fresh fruit and vegetable diet! Have bad alkaline taste in mouth more often than not!… read more
Dr Ted Manos
Dr Ted Manos
Self Employed,
Lymphocytes # (Auto) 0.6 thou/ul, Lymphocytes (%) (Auto)
lytic lesion of the skull and a m-spike of .5 (IFE) - Immunofixation shows IgG monoclonal protein with kappa, light chain specificity… read more
Radiation Oncology Attending Director,
My name is ***** *****. My issue is regarding polyclonal
Customer: Hi...my name is ***** *****. My issue is regarding polyclonal gammopathy. … read more
Doctor (MD),
Stop searching for answers—
Ok, this is a little complicated. I have HIV and Hep C. I
Ok, this is a little complicated. I have HIV and Hep C. I was recently told that I have polyclonal gammopathy with two lesions in my radius that are "concerning for myeloma". One doctor has said that … read more
DR.  GERMAN
DR. GERMAN
Self- Employed ,
I have Common Variable Immune Deficiency. I had CABG surgery
I have Common Variable Immune Deficiency. I had CABG surgery in June, and have had paresthesia since the summer. They discovered that I had a hypothyroid condition, so have been taking synthroid. I wa… read more
Doctor (MD),
My boyfriend (35) had had pruritus for a few months and did
My boyfriend (35) had had pruritus for a few months and did several blood tests, FBC, CRP, Paraprotein etc. All was normal, apart from IgA which according to the doctor was high (normal 0.1-0.3, he ha… read more
CamilleRN
CamilleRN
Registered Nurse,
Get a personalized answer to your question. 
A recent lab reports: IgA at 397; IgG at 1052 and IgM at 55.
A recent lab reports: IgA at 397; IgG at 1052 and IgM at 55. Dr. says my IgA is elevated buy no more. What does an elevated Iga mean he is monitoring for? Immunofixation lab shows IgA monoclonal prote… read more
Schuyler - ANP
Schuyler - ANP
Protein Electrophoresis: M Protein is not identified in
Protein Electrophoresis: M Protein is not identified in electrophoresis lane. IMMUNOFIXATION ELECTROPHORESIS: Poorly define regions of restricted mobility in IgG and lambda lanes. Consistent with IgG … read more
Pauline
Pauline
Doctor,
Bachelor Degree
I HAD A URINE PROTINE OF OVER 900, TOOK A BONE SCAN TOTAL
I HAD A URINE PROTINE OF OVER 900, TOOK A BONE SCAN TOTAL BODY X RAY. THE BONE SCAN WAS NEGATIVE . CAN I ASSUME I DO NOT HAVE MULTIPLE MYELOMA, AND IF NOT WHAT ELSE CAN IT BE?… read more
Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark
Doctor (MD),
Immunologist Expert Please: I was diagnosed with a
Immunologist Expert Please: I was diagnosed with a monoclonal gammopathy which is causing me renal fail. I am in stage 5. I am being sent to get a bone marrow biopsy. My question is: There are antibod… read more
DoctorS
DoctorS
I have just had a repeat blood test because ther was a
i have just had a repeat blood test because ther was a fairly high level of protien i was told they woul be checking for myeloma what are my chances of having it… read more
Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark
Doctor (MD),
Febuary 2008 my aunt was rushed to the hospital with
Febuary 2008 my aunt was rushed to the hospital with respatory chalenges,about 6 month prio to that her lower extremedies began giving out on her.She is now and has been since Febuary still in the hos… read more
Susan Ivy
Susan Ivy
Health Expert, RN,
Stop searching for answers—
My husband has been diagnosed with“Monoclonal -cell
My husband John has been diagnosed with“Monoclonal B-cell lymphocytosis.” Regarding the blood tests done before the bone marrow biopsy, the results were as follows: Immunoglobulin M (IgM) was 1140 mg/… read more
Usha
Usha
Asst Professor,
I am 65 years old, i started out with abnormal light chains,
i am 65 years old, i started out with abnormal light chains, hemoglobins etc, the hematologist diagnosed monoclonal gammopathy? then i was told i was bleeding internally, so far have had a colonoscopy… read more
Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark
Doctor (MD),
I am a 55 year old male. In the past 2 years I have had
I am a 55 year old male. In the past 2 years I have had multiple operations the last being a aortal bi femoral bypass. I have been diagnosed with monoclonal gammathapy. I also had a embolism in my lun… read more
Daniel Nelson, MD
Daniel Nelson, MD
President,
High protein in blood and shadow on kidney what could have
High protein in blood and shadow on kidney what could have caused this in a 17YRS OLD GIRL.… read more
Schuyler - ANP
Schuyler - ANP
The Medical condition of MGUS ,a pre-cancer state, what is
The Medical condition of MGUS ,a pre-cancer state, what is known about MGUS and is there any therapies that can be applied… read more
Pauline
Pauline
Doctor,
Bachelor Degree
Is there a difference in a Lyme Disease Panel IgG/IgM and a
Is there a difference in a Lyme Disease Panel IgG/IgM and a Western Blot to determine late lyme disease?… read more
Kerry
Kerry
Registered Nurse,