Health

Ask Health Experts and Get Answers to Your Health Question ASAP

Health

My daughter has a really high fever and a bad bloody nose

Customer Question
that won't stop what do...
My daughter has a really high fever and a bad bloody nose that won't stop what do I do to help slow it down?
Submitted: 12 years ago.Category: Health
Answered in 1 hour by:
9/7/2005
Health Professional: Dr. Gupta, Doctor (MD) replied 12 years ago
Dr. Gupta
Dr. Gupta, Doctor (MD)
I am a pediatrician. What you are describing is a common pediatric emergencey. THough you ahve not really stated the age of your daughter, here are a few tips to manage the two problems:
"When trying to reduce a fever:

* Don't bundle up kids with chills.
    * Remove excess clothing or blankets. The environment should be comfortably cool. For example, one layer of lightweight clothing, and one lightweight blanket to sleep. If the room is hot or stuffy, a fan may help.
    * A lukewarm bath or sponge bath may help cool someone with a fever. This is especially effective after medication is given -- otherwise the temperature might bounce right back up.
    * Don't use cold baths or alcohol rubs. These cool the skin, but often make the situation worse by causing shivering, which raises the core body temperature.
    * Drink cool liquids, as tolerated.

Here are some guidelines for taking medicine:

* Acetaminophen and ibuprofen help reduce fever in children.
    * Acetaminophen is given every 4-6 hours. It works by turning down the brain's thermostat. Ibuprofen is given every 6-8 hours. Like aspirin, it helps fight inflammation at the source of the fever. Sometimes doctors may advise you to use both types of medicine. Ibuprofen is not approved for use under 6 months of age.
    * Aspirin is very effective for treating fever in adults. Aspirin should NOT be used in children.
    * Fever medicines come in different concentrations, so always check the instructions on the package.
    * Don't use any medicine to reduce fever in children under three months of age without first contacting a physician."
Source:
http://health.allrefer.com/health/fever-home-care.html

More reading:
http://familydoctor.org/x2575.xml

Epistaxis (nose bleed):
"Sit down and gently squeeze the soft portion of the nose between your thumb and finger (so that the nostrils are closed) for about 5-10 minutes. Lean forward to avoid swallowing the blood and breathe through your mouth. Wait at least 5 minutes before checking if the bleeding has stopped. Almost all nose bleeds can be controlled in this way if sufficient time is allowed for the bleeding to stop.

It may help to apply cold compresses or ice across the bridge of the nose. DO NOT pack the inside of the nose with gauze.

Call your health care provider if    Return to top

Get emergency care if:

* The bleeding does not stop after 20 minutes.
    * A nosebleed occurs after an injury to the head -- this may indicate a skull fracture. X-rays should be taken no matter how trivial the blow seemed to be at the time.
    * Your nose may be broken (for example, it is misshapen after a blow or injury).

Call your doctor if you or your child has repeated nosebleeds, particularly if they are becoming more frequent and are not associated with a cold or other minor irritation."

Source:
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/003106.htm

I hope these tips help, do let me know if you ned more information, all the best,
If your child is very small or loks extremely unwell, please go to the ER.
Remember to accept the reply if you found it useful,
warm regards
Dr. Gupta
Dr. Gupta
Dr. Gupta
Dr. Gupta, Doctor (MD)