TheMysticWave
TheMysticWave, Herbal Healer, Color Therapist
Experience:  36 yrs. exp. in Alternative Medicine (Herbal & Wholistic Healing) Color Therapy, Flower Essences
6999

I have eaten several maggots that live inside cherries. Am I

I have eaten several maggots that live inside cherries. Am I in danger?

HiCustomer

I'm not a heath professional.

I believe your body will be able to handle the problem itself.  Stomach acids go along way to eat up things we've eaten.

Just my guess, that you will be ok.

hope this helps.

becat

Customer: replied 13 years ago.
Thanks becat.

But I am looking for a bit more technical information.

Thanks again,

Customeredited>38177.2919907407
nbsp;No you are not in danger.  The acidic environment and enzymes in your stomach will kill the maggots.  They will then pass through your system.

Greetings:

There is a higher percentage that you are not in danger by the information listed below....although, you may wish to contact your physician, or an emergency medical facility to be on the safe side.

Most maggots are probably killed when you chew them. Most of the remaining maggots probably were killed in the stomach (as nursehope indicated). Those that were not killed in the stomach might be able to cause "gastroenteritis" (upset stomach, intestinal/abdominal cramping, diarrhea).  ("intestinal myiasis"). Some are toxic.

Interesting..........Some common bugs for eating include maggots - see the following link:

Bay Area Bug Eating Society (B.A.B.E.S.)

Another fact: Maggots were thought to "tenderize" meat until 1845 when it was discovered that they were poisonous.

Meat is GOOD FOOD - PWEETA

The U. S. Food and Drug Administration says it’s really impossible to get all the dirt and foreign objects (insects, rodent hairs, worms, maggots!) off our food, fresh and processed, but for the most part, the USFDA states, this unappetizing stuff won’t kill us or even make us sick. That’s good to know.

Dirt eating, geophagia - Beth Boswell Jacks

Please take care.

Bright Blessings.

Peace, Love & Happiness,

The Mystic Wave

Experience: 36 yrs. exp. in Alternative Medicine (Herbal & Wholistic Healing) Color Therapy, Flower Essences