GPS

GPS repair problems? Ask a GPS technician for answers ASAP

I am trying to update my Garmin nevi 255 and it won't load…

Customer Question
I am trying to...

I am trying to update my Garmin nevi 255 and it won't load up the maps

Technician's Assistant: Did you download all the necessary software for the update (e.g. Garmin Express or WebUpdater)?

I have Garmin Express on my Apple computer

Technician's Assistant: How's the Internet connection while updating? Have you tried restarting your computer and trying the download again?

I have a good intgernet connection, but IO have not tried to download again

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the GPS Expert to know before I connect you?

I have not had problems in the past, so all I want to do is update my Garmin as we are leaving on a holiday in June.

Submitted: 25 days ago.Category: GPS
5/31/2018
Electronics Technician: Dustin, Senior Technician replied 25 days ago
Dustin, Senior Technician

Welcome to Justanswer.com, my name is Dustin.
I'm sorry to hear about the issue you are having, I will do my best to help you resolve it.

To get started, I need to know what type of computer you are using, a Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 10 or a Mac.

If its a Mac, please check the OSX version as follows, Click the apple sign at the top left of your screen, then click about this mac. And then where it says version, send that to me as a reply.

It may be a bit simpler and easier if you and I connect through a secure remote assistance. With that, I will be able to connect to your computer from here and work on repairing the issue personally. This can save a lot of time and if your not very fluent with computer repairs this is the best option.

Our secure remote assistance is guaranteed meaning if I cant solve the issue then you will be entitled to a full refund of all fees. Would you like to try a remote assistance session or would you prefer to continue via written support alone?

Thank you for your response,

Dustin S

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Apple Mac, running on OS High Sierra 10.134

Would you like me to connect and oversee the update myself. If I cant get the device updated and working smoothly, then you would be entitled to a full refund of all fees.

Or, do you want me to try and guide you via written support alone?

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
continue written \
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
please stop the session, I am not sure how to work this with you, I will just get some help locally Thank you.
Electronics Technician: Dustin, Senior Technician replied 24 days ago

My apologies for the delay in getting back to you.

To fix the garmin issue, heres what I need to know. When you launch garmin express and connect the garmin to your mac. Does garmin express see the Nuvi is connected?

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Not sure, but it shows the back up line as being complete and the download line as 3 out of 69 files, and the loading symbol continues to go around and around. I let it run for about 30 minutes.

What type of internet connection do you have? FIOS. Cable, Wireless, Sattelite, mobile hotspot?

Also, whats your estimated speed for that connection?

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Wireless

Run a speed test using this site,

https://www.speakeasy.net/

Run it twice. whats your download, ping and jitter

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
4.2 download &1.0 uploads

Has the Garmin express download and update progressed at all or is it stuck at the same percentage?

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
The same

Ok, heres my advice. Cancel the garmin express download.

Wait to start it again till night time, when NO ONE ELSE in the house is using the internet, streaming anyting, downloading anything. The garmin map install is fickle, if it loses bandwidth it will stall out, and wont resume.

If that doesnt work, and maybe its worth trying now. Forget garmin express, instead try the web updater program for mac. You can get it here

https://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?product=999-99999-27

This should let you install your maps. When it works, please dont forget to click and submit a 5 star rating as our cutoff is at midnigjt. Thank you!

I'll be waiting for your reply, thank you.

Dustin S.
Senior Technician and Former 31F1P ( Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer)

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Ok thanks

Youre welcome, let me know if you run into any issue, but you shouldnt. The web updater can handle bandwidth irregularity better then the garmin express program.

If you could, please remember to return and click and submit a 5 star rating before midnight EST, thank you.

Dustin S

Customer reply replied 20 days ago
All done