GPS

GPS repair problems? Ask a GPS technician for answers ASAP

I've used google maps and to create a .gpx file that I want…

I've used google maps...

I've used google maps and http://www.gpsvisualizer.com to create a .gpx file that I want to download to my Garmin Nuvi 3490LM. Do I have to use Garmin Basecamp or can I do it directly?

Technician's Assistant: How old is your Nuvi?

Three four years old

Technician's Assistant: What have you tried so far with your Garmin?

Nothing I'd like to avoid basecamp and need guidance on importing the GPX file from my MacBook Air

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the GPS Expert to know before I connect you?

Don't think so

3/22/2018
Pete, Engineer

I am Pete, and I'll be happy to assist with your question today.

Yes, you can drag the file directly onto the Garmin Nuvi device:

• Connect your Garmin to your PC, it should be recognised as an additional drive
  • Click on the Garmin drive to open the folder, you should see a tree with a folder named ‘New files’
  • Drag your saved GPX file into the ‘New Files’ folder, your PC will transfer the file to your Garmin

--------------------

Your satisfaction is my priority; I hope I have earned 5 stars today!

Please take a moment to rate my service 5 stars and press Submit at the top of your question page; tips appreciated :)

If my service is lacking and not worth 5 stars yet, please let me know before submitting your rating and I will do my best to assist you further.

Pete.

--------------------

Pete, Engineer
Sorry I'm not using a PC but a MacBook, but I believe that I've successfully transferred the GPX route using Garmin Basecamp to the Garmin 3490 (it shows in the GPX folder on the device) but what I can't seem to do or find is how to get that route to display on the GPS device itself. Agin it's a Garmin Nuvi 3490 LMT
The phone number is ***** Mexico and I will pay u in USD not MXN
ok
Pete to be polite let me point out that you never answered the issue immediately above the box where I added a Mexican number to call, a service which JustAnswer offers but apparently not to Mexico. I was able to to get the the .gpx file into the Garmin, there is no folder called 'New Files' on my device but one called GPX Files and that is the only one that made sense to use. I was never able to get the map to display and have concluded that this particular 3490LMT was an early serial number that does not support these kind of map transfers. I have found a work around using on device features that gets me to where I want on the route I want. Please turn off further notifications, I note from my credit card statement that you have been paid.