GPS

GPS repair problems? Ask a GPS technician for answers ASAP

I have a Garmin Nuvi 1450 getting the error message "Can't…

Customer Question
I have a Garmin...

I have a Garmin Nuvi 1450 getting the error message "Can't Unlock Maps". I've looked at Settings, Map, Info and there is nothing listed. I've run Garmin Express 6.2.0.0 with the Nuvi at the computer with cable screen(after the green bar) and it is not recognized.

Technician's Assistant: How old is your Nuvi?

Several Years

Technician's Assistant: What have you tried so far with your Garmin?

I've looked at Settings, Map, Info and there is nothing listed. I've run Garmin Express 6.2.0.0 with the Nuvi at the computer with cable screen(after the green bar) and it is not recognized.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the GPS Expert to know before I connect you?

Have not tried updates - turned on and maps disappeared.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: GPS
Device is recognized in Windows as Garmin nuvi (E:), but not found by Garmin Express program. I've tried different USB ports already.
I am running on Windows 10 Pro, current version and updated.
3/20/2018
Electronics Technician: Harry, Customer Service replied 4 months ago
Harry, Customer Service

Hello:

Welcome to JustAnswer! My name is ***** ***** I am happy to be assisting you today. My sincerest apologies that it look so long for someone to reply. I've just logged in and saw your question waiting and I'm happy to assist you. Before we begin, can you please let me know if you still need help with your question? Just use the reply box to let me know.

I have resolved it, here is my report:
When encountering errors such as "No Map Data Available" and Garmin Express does not recognize your Garmin nuvi, check to see if your Garmin nuvi is out of storage space from your computer. Solution related to the fact that when brought up as the E: drive in windows there were 0 bytes free space on the Garmin nuvi. To get Garmin Express to recognize a unit which is full, do a search on the Windows Drive (E:) for "gmap" then choose "Open file location" This will get into the hidden ".system" directory. From there, delete the largest file map, such as "gmapprom" (or move this file to your hard drive). Afterward, reboot your computer to have Garmin Express software recognize your Garmin nuvi. On older units, also purchase a microSDHC card to be able to store the newest maps, such as the US & Canada 2.6Gb map file, which will not fit on the internal unit alone. The Garmin Express software will recognize 4Gb to 32Gb microSDHC Class 10 or UHS-I cards formatted to FAT32 and install the newest maps automatically to them. Some have reported that 4Gb cards are not large enough. I had used a 16Gb SanDisk Ultra PLUS UHS-I card successfully.

OK thank you