GPS

GPS repair problems? Ask a GPS technician for answers ASAP

I have a GPS that apparently has a short inside. The LED on…

I have a GPS...

I have a GPS that apparently has a short inside. The LED on the cord will not light nor the GPS turn on. I have taken it to a neighbor and tried it there with his cord and my cord. My unit will kill the LED in his cord and his will not. How do I get it serviced. I do not know the model as it will not get that far. I do have life time update. Help!

Technician's Assistant: Who makes your GPS?

Garmin

Technician's Assistant: What have you tried so far with your Garmin?

My first question gave all the things I have tried

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the GPS Expert to know before I connect you?

I Know my cord works with my neighbors Garmin, so the cord is not the problem.

3/16/2018
Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer

Hello & Welcome to Just Answer,

I'm Greg and will do my best to assist you today.

Sorry I didn't see your question earlier and to hear of any issue you are having with your device.

To help you with this issue, may I ask:

1) The FULL Model Name & Number of the device you are working with? If this is an automotive device, that model should be printed on the back of the device - perhaps under any mounting hardware.

2) The AGE of the device?

3) WHEN did this issue first begin (or was noticed)?

Please REPLY using the box below and the SEND button.
IMPORTANT NOTE: If you see ANY requests for "additional services" - such as a phone call - please understand that these are OPTIONAL and sent BY THE SITE AUTOMATICALLY (and not me), and I am NOT available by phone at the moment. Feel free to DECLINE (close) any such offers, and continue in this text/chat form.

Thanks

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I just got the back off of the automotive type Garmin. The item is a Nuvi 54. I think it is about 3 to 4 year old. I had the unit plugged into the outlet in my van and saw it working late in Jan. but Tuesday I tried to use it and no luck. The internal battery is so dead that I can not see what model 54 it might be.

Hi again and thanks for that information.

First "Nuvi 54" IS the model name and number, so that should be fine to identify the unit. But since you mentioned having "lifetime map updates" there MAY be the letters "LM" after the model number.

In any case, since the unit is perhaps four years old, this could be a COMPLETELY DRAINED battery that is causing this issue.

If that is the case, may I ask if you have EVER replaced a battery on one of these devices OR a similar device? I only ask to find out if you would like to try replacing the battery as a DIY project.

Thanks

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The lifetime was purchased after purchase so no LM. I am a model railroader so have lots of small tools so am willing to try to replace the battery. Right now I have nothing to loose. Any suggestions? Aubrey

OK - if you have the appropriate size "Torx" screwdriver (T5 size I believe), you should be able to do the job - if you can find the replacement battery.

To help with finding the battery and the process of replacing it, I have a couple of links for you below. The first is a link to the search results for the battery (on Amazon). The second is a video that shows the process.

NOTE: Don't worry about the "LM" I have at the end of the model, as that does NOT affect what battery is used.

Nuvi 54LM Battery (Search Results)
http://amzn.to/2fnEa9G

Nuvi 54LM Battery Replacement Video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FUNTAxsXOI

As you MAY know, the "hardest part" of this type of work is getting the case OPEN - without damage - and getting it back together will all the cables properly connected. (there is a "ribbon cable" & connector involved - as mentioned in the video).

NOTE: There MAY be a LOCAL "battery store" or other shop that specializes in replacing batteries in smart phones or tablets - that may be able to do the job for you - if you think this might be too much of a challenge.

Please let me know your results or if you have any more questions about this issue.
If this has helped answer your question(s), please take a moment to rate MY service level (5-star is my goal) so that I get credit for my time helping you with this question.
You should see some "stars" (and SUBMIT button) to do that, but please let me know if you do NOT see them (you may have to REFRESH your screen) or can not use them.

Thanks, ***** *****
--. .-

Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Greg A.
Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer