GPS

GPS repair problems? Ask a GPS technician for answers ASAP

My nuvi 250w quit working while using it. it was plugged in…

My nuvi 250w quit...

My nuvi 250w quit working while using it. it was plugged in with adapter at the time. Could it be the battery? If so how is it determined bad?

Technician's Assistant: How old is your Nuvi?

8yrs

Technician's Assistant: What have you tried so far with your Garmin?

Nothing

2/19/2018
Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer

Hello & Welcome to Just Answer,

I'm Greg and will do my best to assist you today.

Sorry to hear of any issue you are having with your device.

To help you with this issue, may I ask:

1) What adapter was the device connected to at the time (original Vehicle power adapter or something else)?

2) The AGE of the device?

3) Was a DIFFERENT adapter tried?

Please REPLY using the box below and the SEND button.
IMPORTANT NOTE: If you see ANY requests for "additional services" - such as a phone call - please understand that these are OPTIONAL and sent BY THE SITE AUTOMATICALLY (and not me), and I am NOT available by phone at the moment. Please DECLINE (close) any such offers, and continue in this text/chat form.

Thanks

the original vehicle power adapter. no did try different adapter. the red light was on,on the adapter. it is about 8yrs old

OK - do you have a DIFFERENT power adapter - such as a high power (1 Amp or more) USB power adapter that can be TRIED - to power the device?

That would be the first TEST - to see IF this is an adapter issue or a device (battery) issue.

i was getting low battery warnings along with it doesnt support warnings. I would press ok and it would continue working. the awhile later I looked down and it was off and would not come back on. i will try usb. how do I know if usb is 1amp or more?

MOST power adapter have their OUTPUT specifications PRINTED on the power adapter. Looks for something like "5 VDC @ 1 Amp" (or higher).

I will see if I have a photo of one such adapter.

Thanks

I don't have a photo right now, but I did find an adapter listed on Amazon that shows the LABEL of one such power adapter - if you hover your mouse over the image to ENLARGE it.

Click Here --> http://amzn.to/2HvNiE4

NOTE: That particular adapter is rated at 700mA (0.7 Amps), and is an EXAMPLE of the labeling only.

ok I plugged it in to laptop using usb and came on to download

OK - does that mean that the device DID power ON - and it is showing a screen where there is an icon of the device connected to a computer?

Also, how did it "feel" when connecting the USB cable to the back of the device itself? Did it feel "tight" or "firm" OR was it "loose" in any way?

firm

What about what is displayed - ON THE DEVICE SCREEN?

the word garmin and a pic of device with usb to computer

OK - that is the correct screen - when connecting to a USB port of a computer.

What happens is that the device "detects" the computer connection - and goes into a USB storage device mode - and displays that screen.

So you MAY be looking at a battery that is wearing out OR perhaps a loose connection - using the original vehicle power adapter - OR both.

So may I ask if you would like to try and replace the battery on your own OR is there an electronics/battery shop in your area - that may be able to do that for you?

Thanks

there is no way to test battery other then trying another battery. I have had it out minutes ago and put it back it for these tests

So you already have the device dissembled - is that correct?

OK - if that is the case, the battery CAN be TESTED - by putting it on a battery TESTER and measuring its capacity to provide power (at the rated voltage and current capabilities).

Do you happen to have such a tester available to you?

Thanks

I have a multimeter

That MIGHT work - IF you have some TINY probes and can CAREFULLY measure the voltage across the battery lead WHILE the device is powered ON.

NOTE: I would first CHARGE the battery for AT LEAST an hour and then make the measurement.

Also, if that is the ORIGINAL battery and you CAN get a replacement locally (same type and capacity), I would just replaced it - based on AGE alone. These batteries DO wear out - with age.

ok thanks for the help

If you don't have a LOCAL supplier, these batteries can be easily found online - such as at Amazon.

Here is a link to a search I just did there.

https://www.amazon.ca/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Nuvi+250w+battery

Please let me know what you find or if you have any more questions about this device.

If this has helped answer your question(s), please take a moment to rate MY service level (5-star is my goal) so that I get credit for my time helping you with this question.
You should see some "stars" (and SUBMIT button) to do that, but please let me know if you do NOT see them (you may have to REFRESH your screen) or can not use them.

Thanks, ***** *****
--. .-

my screen says Im being charged for phone call. Do you know if that true?

Hi again,

We experts can not see your screen or any of the charges made.

But I DID see your phone call request but did NOT respond to it, so I suspect that you will NOT be charged for a call.

very good thanks again. i will look for stars

You're quite welcome.

If you have any trouble finding or using rating the stars, I have a link to a short animation that shows how that should work.
How to rate an answer --> http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-rate-answer-hl

Thanks, ***** *****

Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer