GPS

GPS Repair Problems? Ask a GPS Technician for Answers ASAP

GPS

Re: Garmin gps nuvi57LM: Simple question: I got a new mini…

Re: Garmin gps nuvi57LM: ...

Re: Garmin gps nuvi57LM:

Technician's Assistant: How old is your NUVI57LM?

Simple question: I got a new mini sd card so I could update maps; HOW TO REMOVE EXISTING CARD FROM THE DEVICE???? Could not find answer in the garmin manual or on utube.

Technician's Assistant: What have you tried so far with your Garmin?

Tried to find an entry point to remove the old card

1/23/2018
Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer

Hello & Welcome to Just Answer,

I'm Greg and will do my best to assist you today.

Sorry to hear of any issue you are having with your device.

To help you with this issue, may I ask:

1) Can you CONFIRM that there is already another memory card INSERTED in the device?

If so, have you pressed IN on that card, to see if it "ejects" a little bit - from the slot?

Please REPLY using the box below and the SEND button.
IMPORTANT NOTE: If you see ANY requests for "additional services" - such as a phone call - please understand that these are OPTIONAL and sent BY THE SITE AUTOMATICALLY (and not me), and I am NOT available by phone at the moment. Feel free to DECLINE (close) any such offers, and continue in this text/chat form.

Thanks

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
card is fully visible on back of unit; yes, I tried pushing in in but there was no "give" Dp I need to insert a thin metal instrument on one side of the card?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
chat answer will be fine.

Hi again,

If the current card will NOT eject, then there may be a broken spring and latching mechanism in the card slot.

May I ask how long the current card has been installed and if there is ANY movement of the card when pressing on it?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The unit does not have a "slot" Do I have to remove the back cover to find the slot?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The unit is approx. 5 yrs old and has NEVER had a card replacement.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
my unit is the same. There does not appear to be a card in the slot.
Do I just insert the new card in the slot?

Yes, as long as the card goes in EASILY and CLICKS IN, that should work.

BUT before inserting, may I ask if the card TYPE and Capacity?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
SanDisk "pixtor" 16gb
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
SanDisk "pixtor" 16gb
When looking at the unit from the back, does the new card gold side face downward, or will I see the other side?

OK - as long as the card is formatted as "FAT32", that should be fine.

Just for your reference, I have a link to a video that shows physically inserting a card in a similar device.

Click here --> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgpJ8UCs_0k

NOTE: The video is a couple years old, so the SOFTWARE used to do the update may not match exactly what is available today.

Let me know if the card "feels right" when inserting AND ejecting.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
card went in fully but WOULD NOT EJECT.

Did it "click" when fully inserted?

And did you push on the card again - once it had been inserted?

Also, I see that you left a negative rating rather quickly - before we could continue with our conversation.

May I ask if that was a mistake?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
To start off, would be helpful to know if the image shown in the center of unit (on back) was not the mini sd card. I did not know the empty hole on one end was the place to insert new card. When new card was inserted it just locked in. Pushing in on the new card did not result in any movement at all and it will not come out. Is it ok to try and proceed with updating now>???

FIRST, is the card still sticking out a little bit?

And was it EASY to insert and did you feel or hear the CLICK - at the end of the travel of the card?

I just want to make SURE that the card is not installed backwards.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thought we were through when I sent the rating. Can I attempt update now?
The card was inserted like the image showed; it did go in easily, but no "click" heard. The card still shows a little bit and it is inside the black frame of the unit.

As far as I'm concerned, We are NOT through until we get this figured out.

And the FIRST STEP is to make sure the card is inserted correctly OR can be inserted correctly.

So can you still get the card to come OUT - by GENTLY pulling on the card, or perhaps using a fingernail to slide it out?

Thanks

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I finally got the card out. Please advise proper way to insert card. Holding the unit in my LEFT hand, with slot at lower RIGHT corner, should the straight edge of card be on bottom and the slotted edge with the small hump be on top?

OK - I'm trying to find a CLOSE UP image of the card slot, which SHOULD have a "diagram" that shows the correct orientation of the memory card when inserted.

Do you have a MAGNIFYING glass to get a really close look at the slot, and that diagram?

(I don't have one of these models with me right now).

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
magnifier indicated that card is inserted properly. Can I now attempt updating?

OK - can you FIRST connect the device to a computer - via USB cable - and let me know IF the memory card appears - as a "removable media" device?

This is just to CHECK that the card is inserted properly and is SEEN by computer.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
card connected to computer; shows the image of connected device.

NOTE: the DEVICE itself should ALSO appear - as a removable media device.

On Windows machines, they typically appear as a "USB device".

And I need to know what appears ON THE COMPUTER ...

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
computer does show the card. what next?

I have attached a screen shot - of my Windows 7 computer - when a similar Nuvi device was connect AND there was an SD card in the slot.

NOTE: that I have HIGHLIGHTED the FAT32 "File system".

You MAY want to check that card and make sure it is the same format.

If it is, then it should be OK to start the update process.

NOTE: Your SD card will NOT be named NUVISD - as shown in my image - UNLESS you formatted the card and PUT that name in there.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Properties shows GENERAL Hier..... and not FAT32. Is it ok to proceed?

"GENERAL Hier" ???

Is that the title of the TAB being selected - as in my image?

If so, please check the FILE SYSTEM line - which I have highlight in YELLOW.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
File system line shows "generic hierarchical" is it ok to proceed with update?

Specifications for these cards when using in this series of device is for FAT32 format (file system on displays).

May I ask if you have a card reader - where the microSD card can be inserted and formatted for FAT32 - via the computer?

I only ask because I don't know if you would be able to format the card while inserted in the device (they usually have to be in FAT32 format BEFORE they can be accessed by the device).

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
card reader is now being used to format as FAT 32.
WILL HAVE TO SIGN OFF FOR NOW. I WILL ATTEMPT UPDATE TOMORROW. THANKS!!

You're quite welcome and once that formatting is correct, you should be "on your way.

And when you are ready, please take a moment to UPDATE the rating of MY service level (5-star is my goal) so that I get credit for my time helping you today.

Thanks, ***** *****
--. .-

Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Greg A.
Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer