GPS

GPS repair problems? Ask a GPS technician for answers ASAP

I have a Garmin nuvi255W, and just took a map update from my…

Customer Question
Hi. I have...

Hi. I have a Garmin nuvi255W, and just took a map update from my computer with Garmin Express program. device is on, but I can't shut it off now. I am sliding the switch on the top left to the left for about a second, (also tried 5 seconds, 10 seconds, 20 seconds), and it won't shut off. Am I doing something wrong now?

Technician's Assistant: How old is your NUVI255W?

Good question, several years, I don't remember exactly. I have been using it in my car, working fine yesterday, got an email that a 255W map update was available, so I brought it into the house and took the update now it won't shut off?

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the GPS Expert to know before I connect you?

Nope, just how do I shut it off...

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: GPS
1/20/2018
Electronics Technician: Russell H., Service Tech replied 7 months ago
Russell H., Service Tech

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your Garmin question.
The device is probably 'locked up'. Allow it an hour at least, after making sure the connectors have not come loose (but don't unplug them!), and after that, restart the computer, which will effectively interrupt the update process, if it got 'jammed up' somehow.

If you 'updated' from the email, don't use that email again, I advise.

If after a restart after an hour or longer, the Garmin has further problems, disconnect it from the computer, turn it Off for 10+ minutes, try the update, simply through the Garmin Express program on the computer, once again. See if that straightens things out.

Let me know in Reply, how that goes, please.

The device is NOT locked up. The update completed, I can navigate through the gps to all its various menus. I just can't shut it off. If I wait as long as you say, the battery is depleting and I can't shut off.

I see. So in other words, it no longer responds to the power switch, is the problem.

The battery is not easily removed in many Garmin models, or I would advise offhand that you remove the battery. Try removing the SD card, sliding the power switch and holding it there for over 15 seconds... it might perhaps erase the device back to factory, but should reset/turn Off/restart.

I'll try that

OK... let me know how it goes, please, by and by.