GPS

GPS repair problems? Ask a GPS technician for answers ASAP

No satellite signal. Garmin. Reset plotter and then update…

Customer Question
No satellite signal Technician's...

No satellite signal

Technician's Assistant: Who makes your GPS?

Garmin

Technician's Assistant: What have you tried so far with your Garmin?

Reset plotter and then update SD card

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: GPS
Answered in 1 day by:
1/18/2018
Electronics Technician: Richard, Customer Service replied 4 months ago
Richard, Customer Service

Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.

Can you tell me the model of the Garmin device please?

Thank you

Garmin gps map 740s. Is only about 2 years old .Have tried master reset ,downloaded software update onto SD card and installed it . Still not receiving any satellite signal

This is usually an issue with the Firmware, so I would first like you to do this please.

Remove the charger from the unit and hold the power button to off for 60 seconds.

Release, then connect the charger and try to turn on the unit and use it.

Let me know the results please

Thank you

Firstly this unit does not have a charger .It is hard wired ,I tried turning the power off and holding power button down but that achieves nothing ,I tried same with power going to unit and same result .Looking at the systems details it says that it is running on software version 4.30 , also it says GPS SW 0.0 .I am sure it has something to do with the GPS SW 0.0 that is the problem ,looking at forums on the subject I am not the first to have this problem
Electronics Technician: Richard, Customer Service replied 3 months ago

Hi there

The charger is what supplies the power to it, you will have this connected else it would not be able to turn on.

Where exactly are you using the unit?

It is a marine gps so it is in my boat .I don't believe there is a charger connected to this unit at all .It is connected directly to my boats power system .If the power to the unit is turned off it will not do anything .Do you think I should buy an external antenna ,as the internal one doesn't seem to be doing its job ?

This can be the case, but first I want to ensure you removed the power to the unit for 60 seconds for a reboot.

Did you do this?

I disconnected the power ,held power button down for 60 seconds .That didn't do anything .

It did work fine before correct?

has worked faultlessly for at least 2 years
Richard, Customer Service