GPS

GPS repair problems? Ask a GPS technician for answers ASAP

I have not used my explorist 200 for some time. When I

Customer Question
I have not used...

I have not used my explorist 200 for some time. When I changed batteries ans fired it up as near as i can tell everything seems to be woeking fine except the readout is so dime I can't read it. I tried to incerease the contrast to no avail.

Technician's Assistant: How old is your eXplorist?

I don't know for sure but probably 15 years.

Technician's Assistant: What have you tried so far with your Magellan?

I changed the batteries and tried to increase the contrast.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: GPS
1/15/2018
Electronics Technician: Dan, Master Tech and Repair Facility Trainer replied 7 months ago
Dan, Master Tech and Repair Facility Trainer

Welcome to the site! I'm Dan, and I'd be happy to help. It looks like you've gone over some basic information with our automated system, so I just have a couple questions to make sure I know what's going on.

This is actually quite common on this model! Over the years, the screen's digitizer begins to degrade which leads to the dimming that you're seeing. Replacing the screen is the only good answer, and I can help!

You can get a replacement screen >>here<< for about $15. In the 15 years I've been doing this, I've never found a good supplier of new screens. I can only find salvages from units that break somewhere other than the screen. Anyway, the screen was supposedly tested and the seller has pretty stellar feedback.

Replacing the screen is easy. Just remove the screws from the unit's back panel, and you should see the flat ribbon cable that connects the circuit card to the screen. It just pulls out (sometimes there's a little latch). It's really quite simple!

I really hope that answers your question! Let me know if you need anything else. Oh, and please take a second to rate the service I provided (there should be a 5-star scale on your page somewhere). Don't worry, that won't close your question and you can still respond back at any time.