GPS

GPS Repair Problems? Ask a GPS Technician for Answers ASAP

GPS

I replaced the battery in a SGX and now it just blinks the…

Customer Question
I replaced the battery...

I replaced the battery in a SGX and now it just blinks the 'X' on/off

Technician's Assistant: What's the brand and model of your computer? And the Operating System (OS)?

It is a Skycaddie GPS

Technician's Assistant: Who makes your GPS?

Skycaddie

Technician's Assistant: What have you tried so far with your GPS?

I replaced the battery in a SGX and now it just blinks the 'X' on/off when plug it in to charge

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: GPS
12/26/2017
Electronics Technician: Russell H., Service Tech replied 1 month ago
Russell H., Service Tech

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your GPS question. I need to ask for a few more details before I can advise you:
- What symptoms did you get previously, that caused you to replace the battery, please?

- And, what maker and model of battery did you put into the Skycaddie GPS, please?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Battery not holding a charge for 18 holes, get recharge soon message during round. Cameron Sino CS-SGX100SL

If the old battery was several years old, then replacing it, for those symptoms, was the right thing to do. As to whether that's the right battery, though... let me look it up for a bit...

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
OK

Did you perhaps reverse the plug on the battery, with regard to the plug inside the Skycaddie? it might, if that's even possible, cause the problem you are asking about.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It appears to be correctly, but I can look at it again. Don't think its possible to make contact.

Those plugs are usually impossible to insert wrong - at least, not without a great deal of force being applied.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It is in correctly

Hold down the power button for 15 seconds or longer, until the SGX shuts OFF.

Leave it alone, Off, for at least 30 minutes.

Then try switching it On again.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Tried it but same thing

Then regrettably either the new battery is no good and needs to be returned - it's the right battery for this device, though - or, perhaps, its connector is not inserted correctly? but you've tried that... or, a last doubtful possible thing wrong: was the battery charged up for 6 hours before you first tried it? continuous time for that long, on a charger, is often needed for a battery just put in, the first time, since it has been sitting unused on a shelf for a while.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Charging requires hooking up to the Skycaddie, which then turns on asking for a charge. I cannot get that far...Just starts to blink..

So it hasn't been charged up then? Leave it that way, with power connected to the Skycaddie, for at least 5 hours without bothering it or turning it On... it won't charge as fast turned On, you see.

Then try turning it On.

This procedure may be what this case needs the most, at this point.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
OK, Thanks

Let me know how it goes, by and by, after those 5+ hours charging up.

Since I have not heard back from you, I am asking whether my answer was helpful and provided what you needed ?

(If I didn't answer your question, if you need more info, or have any comments, use Reply To Expert to respond, and I will be pleased to help you further.)

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Nothing has worked

I'm sorry to hear that. I presume the battery replacement was with an identical replacement battery.

How old is the Skycaddie device in question?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I went to an independent repair shop where they diagnosed the problem as a bad receptacle wire and replaced it.

I'm glad to hear that a solution was reached. Thank you for asking your question here at JustAnswer.com... if you'd like to close the case, rating my work (in the five-star rating interface at the top of the JustAnswer page for this question, cited below) would close it out nicely.

http://www.justanswer.com/gps/aw76i-replaced-battery-sgx-just-blinks.html

Thank you again, and have a good evening.

Russell H., Service Tech