GPS

GPS repair problems? Ask a GPS technician for answers ASAP

L have replaced battery in my garmin nuvi 1490 and charged…

Customer Question
Hi l have replaced...

Hi l have replaced battery in my garmin nuvi 1490 and charged it . The screen is very very faint and can hardly read

Technician's Assistant: How old is your Nuvi?

Not sure l bought it from a friend

Technician's Assistant: What have you tried so far with your Garmin?

As l said rlaced battery

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: GPS
12/16/2017
Electronics Technician: Greg A., Engineer replied 7 months ago
Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer

Hello & Welcome to Just Answer,

I'm Greg and will do my best to assist you today.

Sorry to hear of any issue you are having with your device.

To help you with this issue, may I ask:

1) Was the screen working and BRIGHT BEFORE the battery was replaced?

2) Did you replace the battery yourself OR had it done for you?

Please REPLY using the box below and the SEND button.

IMPORTANT NOTE: If you see ANY requests for "additional services" - such as a phone call - please understand that these are OPTIONAL and sent BY THE SITE AUTOMATICALLY (and not me), and I am NOT available by phone at the moment. Feel free to DECLINE (close) any such offers, and continue in this text/chat form.

Thanks

Screen was working before. I replaced the battery very carefully
Sorry l dont have the money
Everythi g comes up on the screen but it is very very faint
Are you still there?

Hi again and thanks for that information.

NOTE: I'm not sure what you are referring to with the "Sorry l dont have the money".

IF the screen was working properly BEFORE replacing the battery, I SUSPECT that the "ribbon cable" that connects to the DISPLAY half of the unit MAY have been pulled loose at one end or the other.

Please use the following video as a reference and try to dissemble the unit again and examine the ends of that ribbon cable.

Then power up and TEST - while the unit is still apart - to see if you can get it working again.

Click Here for Video --> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmc1et0HJOQ

Please let me know what you find - when you can.

Thanks, ***** *****

No answers to my problem Greg

Did you see my suggestion about disassembling the device again, and checking the ribbon cable?

As another reference, please look at the following DETAILED article (includes photos), especially referencing the ZIF (Zero Insertion Force) connector that is used for these ribbon cables.

NOTE: These connectors can be VERY TRICKY to work with and get the ribbon connector contacts lined up properly.

Click Here for Article --> https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Garmin+Nuvi+1490T+Display+Screen+Replacement/61098

Please let me know what you find through this examination and TESTING.

Thanks