GPS

GPS repair problems? Ask a GPS technician for answers ASAP

Dezl 580 was working great. I pressed the power button to…

Customer Question
Dezl 580 was working...

Dezl 580 was working great. I pressed the power button to put it in sleep mode, now it will not turn back on.

Technician's Assistant: Are there any lights on your Dezl when you try charging it? Does the screen change at all?

No

Technician's Assistant: Has there been any damage to your GPS recently?

No

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: GPS
11/24/2017
Electronics Technician: Russell H., Service Tech replied 5 months ago
Russell H., Service Tech

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

Your Garmin Dezl 580 might have 'broken', but might perhaps be fixed by a few simple operations you can do yourself.

Check the charger first of all. The charger needs to provide power, or lights on the device will not come on at all.

Now after that, it is likely (given that the charger, its cord especially, shows no signs of breakage, strain, repeated bending of the cord at any one point, etc.) that the battery in the Garmin device has failed. This is especially likely, if the Garmin is over 1 1/3 years from date-of-purchase, though it might be much older and this would still be likely as the cause of the problem.

I suggest that replacing the battery might be best, ***** ***** measure to repair this device.

If you are interested in the options for doing so, let me know in Reply To Expert, and I will provide directions or instructions. (Note: *if* the Garmin device is less than a year old, it will be repaired by Garmin for free under warranty conditions... ask about that option, if so, and I will instruct you as to how to go about getting warranty repair done.)

-If this answers your question, please rate my answer. A five-star rating would be appreciated. Thank you.

(If you need more info, or have any comments, use Reply To Expert to respond.)

The GPS is only 2 months old, it has never been dropped and the cord is in new condition. I would like the instructions for sending the unit to Garmin, thank you.

OK! Here is how to send it to Garmin for repair under warranty terms:

You are to contact Garmin Canada, and get an RMA number from them, before sending the device to them for repair. Visit this page to find details:

https://my.garmin.com/rma/en-CA/repair/repairLanding

...but unfortunately, when I looked into the further details, I found none about starting a warranty claim. So contact Garmin at this number:

1-***-***-****

to start the warranty repair process.

Russell H., Service Tech