GPS

GPS repair problems? Ask a GPS technician for answers ASAP

Lost Garmin in field wondering how to find. Alpha 100 4

Customer Question
Lost Garmin in field...

Lost Garmin in field wondering how to find

Technician's Assistant: What is the exact model of your Garmin? And can you guesstimate how old it is?

Alpha 100 4 years old

Technician's Assistant: What happened right before this popped up?

Some directions

Technician's Assistant: What troubleshooting have you tried?

Walked field nothing else

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the GPS Expert to know before I connect you?

No thanks

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: GPS
Can you find with cell phone gps
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
11/20/2017
Electronics Technician: Russell H., Service Tech replied 8 months ago
Russell H., Service Tech

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.
Alpha trackers by Garmin do not have transmitting capability as to their locations... they receive location information from the GPS satellites, but they do not transmit back (which would require an impractically large antenna and a lot of power! and perhaps a satellite dish accurately trained on a satellite, alternatively or together with that.)

So your main hope of finding it - aside from combing the field carefully, square foot by square foot, in a close-enough grid pattern to cover everywhere - is, if it was paired with another Alpha, and its battery has not run down yet, you could walk through the field watching the paired Alpha until it picks up on the lost Alpha - then you'll have its location to within a certain number of yards, roughly the limit of Bluetooth in an open field, which might be 100 yards at most, roughly.

I hope that this information helps to clarify the issues involved with finding the lost Alpha handheld. Please let me know, if you need further information or advice.