GPS

GPS repair problems? Ask a GPS technician for answers ASAP

I have the same issue you solved for someone, earlier. why…

Hello, i have the...

Hello, i have the same issue you solved for someone, earlier. why have maps been deleted from my gps?

Technician's Assistant: Just to clarify, what's the brand and model of the GPS?

NUVI 50LM, I believe.

Technician's Assistant: What happened right before this popped up?

I don't know?

Technician's Assistant: What troubleshooting have you tried?

Updating the maps via the garmin website.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the GPS Expert to know before I connect you?

No, I guess he can ask me if he needs anything.

Answered in 1 day by:
11/20/2017
Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer

Hello & Welcome to Just Answer,

I'm Greg and will do my best to assist you today.

Sorry I didn't see your question earlier and to hear of any issue you are having with your device.

To help you with this issue, may I ask:

1) What maps do you believe have been deleted from the device?

2) WHEN did this issue first begin (or was noticed)?

Please REPLY using the box below and the SEND button.
IMPORTANT NOTE: If you see ANY requests for "additional services" - such as a phone call - please understand that these are OPTIONAL and sent BY THE SITE AUTOMATICALLY (and not me), and I am NOT available by phone at the moment. Please DECLINE (close) any such offers, and continue in this text/chat form.

Thanks

(im)

1) The latest update of the default North America map.2) When I tried to download the map to my Chromebook.Also, can I download the map to a miniature SD card and use it to load the map to the Garmin.
If so, the minimum size of card?
What would be the total cost?

Hi again,

I just saw your call request, but unfortunately I'm not near a phone right now to be able to call. However another expert may respond to your call request before I can reach a phone.

We can also continue here in this chat/text form.

If that will work for you, let me know what tool (program) is being used to attempt the update of the device maps.

Thanks

Plz see my last text...Thank, Jim

Also:

We experts are "users" of this site - just like you - and have no access to ANY of your private information or account - including any charges.

If you have ANY concerns about your account or site operation, You can contact the Customer Service department at the following page:
http://ww2.justanswer.com/contact-us

Back to the issue at hand:

I may not have seen your last text, so please try to respond to my last question, which was:

Let me know what tool (program) is being used to attempt the update of the device maps.

Thanks

(im)

Text is fine with me.

Let me send my last note again:

======================

Thanks

(im)

Google Chromebook download and upload.

OK - Garmin has an update tool called Garmin Express.

Has that program been successfully downloaded and installed on the machine (computer)?

I don't believe that Google Chromebooks can run .exe files without "Vine".
Is there anyway to use a Chromebook to transfer the map to my Garmin?

I see my note that Garmin Express is used on Windows or Mac computers got cut off (for some unknown reason).

Do you have access to any Windows or Mac emulation tools?

OR

Do you have access to a Windows or Mac computer?

Thanks

I don't know of a way to DIRECTLY download map files - to any computer type.

This is because the Garmin Express program is "the tool" that is used to control map updates.

I am not sure, probably not. Is a contractor available to perform the transfer in 'Vegas?

Hmm .... I don't know of any "contractors" that update device software or maps. This is because Garmin Express is intended to do the job for you, assuming that you have access to a computer (windows or mac) and a HIGH speed internet connection.

In that line, do you have any friends in your area that may have a usable computer and internet connection?

Thanks

I guess I am out of luck for the download, then.

If you don't have access to a windows or mac computer that can run the Garmin Express program, that may be the case.

Can you tell me when and where this device was purchased AND if any "maintenance agreement" was purchased with it?

I only ask because SOME retailers offer such agreements, and depending on the terms, they MAY be able to do the updates for you.

Please let me know if that is the case.

Thanks, ***** *****

(im)

I don't know. I can check with some friends after Christmas.

OK - can I assume that this device was given to you then?

And can I assume that the use of the device is NOT "urgent" right now?

If so, you may want to check into a newer device, as NOW is the "right time" to look for a more current model.

For your reference, I have a link to Amazon below, showing the search results for the phrase "Garmin GPS". That should give you a good idea of current (and some older "refurbished") models and the "street prices" currently available.

Click here --> http://amzn.to/2hGxCCi

Please let me know what you find or if you have any more questions about this device.

If this has helped answer your question(s), please take a moment to rate MY service level (5-star is my goal) so that I get credit for my time helping you with this question.
You should see some "stars" (and SUBMIT button) to do that, but please let me know if you do NOT see them (you may have to REFRESH your screen) or can not use them.

Thanks, ***** *****
--. .-
(im)

Hello, It looks like my reset but I donate a map yet; just a solid thick pink line. Do I need to reload the map to my Google Chromebook and then transfer it to my GPS?
Thanks for your help. Thankfully it is an extra which will end up in a drawer to never see the light of day, again.

You are quite welcome.

NOTE: Before the device "ends up in a drawer" for a long period of time, you may want to find a friend with a Windows or Mac computer and at least TRY to update the maps - using the Garmin Express program.

I mention this because Garmin has recently added some text to their "terms" about Lifetime Updates, stating that updates SHOULD BE DONE AT LEAST EVERY 24 MONTHS - to keep the lifetime updates for that device from "expiring".

See the FINE PRINT on the following Garmin page >> Click Here <<

If you have any trouble finding or using rating the stars, I have a link to a short animation that shows how that should work.
How to rate an answer --> http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-rate-answer-hl

Thanks, ***** *****
--. .-
(im)

Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer