GPS

GPS Repair Problems? Ask a GPS Technician for Answers ASAP

GPS

Grg my garmin gps will take for ever to find a sattelite…

Customer Question
Hello grg my garmin...

Hello grg my garmin gps will take for ever to find a sattelite what can i do to solve that problem thanks

Technician's Assistant: What is the exact model of your Garmin? And can you guesstimate how old it is?

Wher can i find the model number

Technician's Assistant: What happened right before this popped up?

Nuvi 40lm have it about 5years now

Technician's Assistant: What troubleshooting have you tried?

Turn it off and back on send it to a computer guy to update map make it worst

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the GPS Expert to know before I connect you?

Thats all the problem i have

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: GPS
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
10/17/2017
Electronics Technician: Greg A., Engineer replied 4 months ago
Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer

Hello & Welcome to Just Answer,

I'm Greg and will do my best to assist you today.

Sorry I didn't see your question earlier and to hear of any issue you are having with your device.

To help you with this issue, may I ask:

1) WHEN was the device last used SUCCESSFULLY?

2) Has the device been MOVED a long distance - since the last time it was successfully used?

3) WHEN did this issue first begin (or was noticed)?

Please REPLY using the box below and the SEND button.
IMPORTANT NOTE: If you see ANY requests for "additional services" - such as a phone call - please understand that these are OPTIONAL and sent BY THE SITE AUTOMATICALLY (and not me), and I am NOT available by phone at the moment. Feel free to DECLINE (close) any such offers, and continue in this text/chat form.

Thanks

the last time i used it was last week in the state of florida it work well once it find sattelite .but it takes some time up to half hour to find sattelite.
yes i live in antigua so now the gps is here with me far from the usa but i dont use it outside of the usa.that issue has been for about a year now

Hi again and thanks for that information.

OK - first a bit of DETAIL about how these device normally operate.

1) When the device DOES find the satellite signals, is used for a while, and then turned OFF, the device REMEMBERS/STORES its last known location (and date/time).

2) When the device NEXT powers up (with a stored "last location"), it EXPECTS to be in the same location - or at least close by - and "looks for the satellites" in the sky based on that last known location.

3) Other factors affect how quickly the device can find and lock on the satellite signals. This includes:

a) IF an address or location has been entered - to look for driving directions

b) IF the device is use INSIDE a vehicle - with a poor view of the sky (back/away from the windshield).

c) IF the device has a LOW BATTERY.

There are other factors too, but those are the main to consider.

Does that all make sense so far?

not really greg because i make sure the battery is always charged before i travelled and i always make sure the car is not moving before i connect to sattelite and i will i actually put it out side from the window .and the second day will do the samething after working well the first day

OK - the concern about MOVING is more about DISTANCE from the last working location - not if the vehicle is moving.

Also, SOME vehicle windshields have "metal" embedded in them, which cuts out some of the satellite signals - making it take LONGER for the device to lock on the satellite signals.

Since you mentioned putting it "out side from the window", you MAY have one such vehicle windshield.

Does the device FIND the signals FASTER - when it is OUTSIDE the vehicle (or have you tried that)?

i did try put it outside from the window it make no diffrent .any way how can i update the gps to the latest map if its possible

RE: update the GPS.

I saw in your original question that the device WAS updated.

WHEN was that done and who did that update?

i gave it to a local guy here but i dont no what he did he said he updated the latest central american map not sure if he did that correct

OK - since you "don't know" what was done, it would be hard to say or find out exactly what happened, and what version of maps are there.

BUT, Garmin has an update program (called Garmin Express) where you SHOULD be able to update the maps AND unit software.

May I ask what type of computer you have - to be able to download and run the Garmin Express program?

am using asus windows 7

OK - windows system should work.

I have a link to the page where you can download the Garmin Express program to your computer.

http://www.garmin.com/express

There SHOULD be a video on that page that covers the basics of downloading and using that program, so look for that video.

I believe there is a MORE DETAILED video, and I will look for that and send a link to it along when I find it.

Thanks, ***** *****

Hi again,

Here is the other video I mentioned.

How to update maps with Garmin Express (PC)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9JQGEK1-0o&en-us

IMPORTANT NOTE: You do NOT necessarily need to "register" on the initial screen.

Other notes:

For MOST Garmin units, the Express program will only update GARMIN PURCHASED MAPS. This is IMPORTANT since you mentioned that "some guy" put the local maps on the device. Most Nuvi 40LM device are purchased with ONLY the "lower 48 states".

HIGH SPEED internet connection is REQUIRED - to be able to download the LARGE data files for maps.

Please let me know what you find or if you have any more questions about this device.

Thanks, ***** *****

Hi again,

I see it has been a few days and I haven't seen a response on this page, so I just wanted to follow up to see if you have any more questions concerning this issue OR if the issue was resolved?

I look forward to any further questions or results that you may have.

Thanks, ***** *****
--. .-
(im)

Greg A.
Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer