GPS

GPS repair problems? Ask a GPS technician for answers ASAP

My new TomTom Go was working fine until it starting asking…

Customer Question
My new TomTom Go...

My new TomTom Go was working fine until it starting asking me to download a map. Now, it will not work at all. It acts as though it is trying to download a map but it very slow.

Technician's Assistant: What's the make/model of your GPS unit? How old is it?

It just received it yesterday. It is a 520 Go.

Technician's Assistant: What happened right before this popped up?

It said I needed to download a map, but I don't understand because it was working perfectly before.

Technician's Assistant: What troubleshooting have you tried?

I have tried holding the start button down to reset, but it keeps coming back to downloading. The downloading is now at 4% but this has taken 15 minutes to get there.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the GPS Expert to know before I connect you?

I just want to know how to get my TomTom back to where it was when I first started it up yesterday.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: GPS
9/28/2017
Electronics Technician: Michael Hannigan, Engineer replied 10 months ago
Michael Hannigan

Hello. My name is***** will be helping you with your question today. Please give me a moment to review your question and respond.

This is fairly common when updating a TomTom. Whatever time remaining is being shown is an estimate (and not usually very accurate). There are times when downloading the files can take a long time (a few hours). That's a matter of the speed of the Tom-Tom servers, not your computer or device.

I would suggest letting it run the update for at least an hour or two before you consider canceling it. I think you'll see that it will update in a much shorter time than what it estimates. And if you don't let it update, it's going to keep asking you. But if that doesn't work, or if you still have questions, please let me know.