GPS

GPS repair problems? Ask a GPS technician for answers ASAP

I Have not updated my Garmin TAWS card for several years,

Customer Question
I Have not updated...

I Have not updated my Garmin TAWS card for several years, how do I update

Technician's Assistant: What is the exact model of your Garmin? And can you guesstimate how old it is?

530 approx. 10 years old

Technician's Assistant: What happened right before this popped up?

I updated my jeppessen cards and now my 530 will not function properly - FPL Locked - format unknown

Technician's Assistant: What troubleshooting have you tried?

I just spoke with jeppessen and have reloaded the data card and need to update the terrain card togo back to plane and try again

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the GPS Expert to know before I connect you?

That is pretty much all i know

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: GPS
9/24/2017
Electronics Technician: Russell H., Service Tech replied 10 months ago
Russell H., Service Tech

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

As of 2009, there was a complicated update process through Garmin. But of course, the terrain database doesn't change much: it was the obstacles in the database that might change with the years or a passing of a decade or so.

So... being 8 years since 2009 ... I suggest you try this, first, if you have a computer, and can connect your 530W to the computer with a USB cable as directed in this process:

When dealing with an update for your Garmin device, it is best to simply download, install, and use Garmin Express.

Go to

http://software.garmin.com/en-GB/express.html

and (if you have a Windows PC) click on the big blue Download button at center bottom of the page.

(If you have an Apple, click on the nearby Download for Mac link.)

And download Garmin Express' installer to your computer, save it, then double-click upon it to install Garmin Express.
Then start the program, Garmin Express. Then connect your Garmin device. Then use Garmin Express to update your device.

Let me know how that goes, please.

Since I have not heard back from you, I am assuming that my answer was helpful and provided what you needed to help toward a solution.

If I have indeed answered your question, please rate my answer, using the five-star interface on your JustAnswer page. - A five-star rating would be appreciated. Thank you.

(If this didn't answer your question, if you need more info, or have any comments, use Reply To Expert to respond, and I will instruct and advise you further.)