Dustin, Senior Technician
Experience:  Giving Directions to wayward GPS devices for over a decade. Worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller
19897260

I think my unit burn up. The last few times that I have used

I think my unit burn up. The last few times that I have used it, it gets very hot; too hot to touch. And now it is dead.
JA: What's the make/model of your GPS unit? How old is it?
Customer: Its about 6 months old. Its a Garmin DriveLuxe 50
JA: What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: Last night I was trying to update and had it plugged in to my computer and had to leve it until morning. I turned it on this morning and it was updating and when I put it in my truck it stopped with a black screen and hasn't come on since.
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: I don't know anything to do. It will not come on.
JA: Anything else you want the GPS Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I just think that it is odd that it gets so hot when it is plugged in. The other day I picked it up for the seat and it was so hot that it burned my hand.

Welcome to Justanswer.com, my name is Dustin.
I'm sorry to hear about the issue you are having, I will do my best to help you resolve it.

It sounds like you have a faulty battery, and with as much as its caused the unit to overheat, it may have burned out the mainboard or possibly the screen. Since the unit isnt over a year old, you are entitled to a free repair.

You can request the free replacement / repair by using the link below

https://my.garmin.com/rma/en-US/repair/repairLanding

If you get stuck or run into any issues, let me know.

I strive to provide great service, and greatly appreciate a 5 star rating clicked and submitted when you are satisfied.. I always answer follow up questions.

Dustin S.

Senior Technician and Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer.

Customer: replied 26 days ago.
I think this is a rip off. 39 dollars for a few answers. It won't happen again even if I have to a different brand.

39$ is a fair price for tech support. Go to the geek squad and check the prices they charge.

Now, if you use the link I sent you then you can get the entire device replaced for free.

If you have further questions let me know.

If you had any issues getting Garmin to honor your warranty, let me know. The batteries for those devices are surprisingly cheap, you can usually get them for 10$.

If you have any further questions or concerns, let me know.