GPS

GPS repair problems? Ask a GPS technician for answers ASAP

I have had a Garmin Oregon 450 for several years. I bought…

Customer Question
I have had a...

I have had a Garmin Oregon 450 for several years. I bought it and a Montana map and land ownership chip. Battery life has never been very good, so I just switch it on , use it as needed, then switch off. I have not used it much for setting or following tracks. Last night, I put in fresh Energizer brand lithium batteries and was very careful to turn it off. I checked several times by touching the screen to make certain that it was off. This AMI turned it on to to set a waypoint as it was cold ans snowing heavily in a place that I was unfamiliar with. The battery indicator already showed only three bars. I shut it off then and when home, I checked with a voltmeter and found 1.5 volts in batteries that start with about 1.75 volts. So I lost over half of the batteries energy overnight with the device turned off. How can I approach this problem?

Technician's Assistant: What is the exact model of your Garmin? And can you guesstimate how old it is?

It is three or four years old; I am looking inside of the case. there are quite a few numbers, but I do not see a specific model number.

Technician's Assistant: What happened right before this popped up?

Nothing in particular.

Technician's Assistant: What troubleshooting have you tried?

I don't know of any. The original packaging was stolen, could I access a user's manual?

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: GPS
9/20/2017
Electronics Technician: Michael Hannigan, Engineer replied 11 months ago
Michael Hannigan

Hello. My name is***** will be helping you with your question today. Please give me a moment to review your question and respond.

It sounds like the batteries are not rechargeable - correct?

You've probably done all the energy saving things you can do, like setting a short timeout on the backlight. But what you are going through with this device is pretty common. Rechargeable batteries (the right ones) will give you an entire day of use. What I recommend is 2000mAh batteries or greater.

And the best batteries, by far, for that are Enloop batteries. They are expensive, but they will last through a couple thousand charges and maintain their capacity of 2000mAh through their life.

Please let me know if that answers your question, or if you need additional information.